[SOLVED] A cheap but decent PC build

spectralcanine

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
I am going for a relatively cheap PC build, but it should still be ok.

The goal is to use it for photo editing with Photoshop for big raw images, and random family stuff like browsing the web, with 2 1080p monitors.

I looked around a bit at hardware, and selected for now the following:

CPU - Intel i3 10100, with an Arctic Alpine 12 CO cooler.
MOBO - Asus PRIME B460-A
RAM - Corsair Value Select 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL16.
PSU - Corsair RM550x.
CASE - Antec VSK3000 ELITE (cheap and bad, but it's a metal box like all other metal boxes?)

I don't think a dedicated GPU is really needed for Photoshop, hence just a decent Intel CPU. Please correct me if I am wrong, since if one is needed, I'd probably go for a Ryzen CPU instead.

I think the MOBO and PSU may be too expensive compared to the CPU that they are going to run? even if so, I am not sure if there are other models that are cheaper and not completely terrible in my country (Israel).

Does this build look reasonable?

Last edited:
Solution
That is a fine PSU, should last many years under that low a load. You could go for something like a 430W from Corsair, Antec, etc, just depends what is available in Israel.

There are a lot of Photoshop features that take advantage of GPU acceleration. An AMD APU might actually benefit you somewhat. Just go for fast memory like 3200Mhz if you go that route.

As for the case, doesn't have an intake fan. Again depends what you have available, you can just buy another fan.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a fine PSU, should last many years under that low a load. You could go for something like a 430W from Corsair, Antec, etc, just depends what is available in Israel.

There are a lot of Photoshop features that take advantage of GPU acceleration. An AMD APU might actually benefit you somewhat. Just go for fast memory like 3200Mhz if you go that route.

As for the case, doesn't have an intake fan. Again depends what you have available, you can just buy another fan.

Solution
Very reasonable.

I built a pc for my son using a i3-10100 and I am impressed. It is quick.
Perhaps, in part because of the m.2 ssd installed.
The i3-10100 comes with a perfectly good cooler, no aftermarket cooler is needed.
And, the one I built runs just fine in a small case with no active ventilation; it is a cool chip.
You may find that a H110 based motherboard will serve your needs just as well at a lower price.
Here are the differences:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1200
While intel does not depend on ram speeds for performance, the integrated graphics is helped by faster ram.
I think 2666 will be the fastest supported and I would look for that if possible.
Make that a dual channel 2 x 8gb kit.

spectralcanine

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
I could indeed do with the H410 chipset instead of B460, thanks for the link.

As far as APUs, it looks like Ryzen 5 3400G is on par price-wise with i3 10100, but worse than it? not sure.

I did plan on a getting a 2666Mhz RAM, but it's not available currently locally, maybe I just need to check more shops.
Also 2x8 seems to cost more than 1x16 nowadays, is there a real benefit in getting dual channel?

I am still not sure about the case, the PC is not for me and I am not sure if looks etc. matter.
As far as I see it, a case is just a hunk of metal, I have an old one for many many years with no side panels or any fans, and it holds my hardware just fine, but maybe that's just me :D

As a side note, I specifically chose a CPU cooler because it + the tray version CPU cost less than the box version CPU, and I am guessing the cooler that comes with the latter is worse as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would be trading some CPU performance for GPU performance.

3400G has 11 CU Vega graphics, basically half a real video card. Intel's HD630 isn't insignificant, but isn't much in terms of a GPU. Next generation Intel should be more impressive since their GPU division is back in action. I believe there are already some mobile chips with the new Xi graphics.