A Closer Look at Nvidia Max-Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand the fascination with thin (and LEDs). I have seen way to many ben and damaged phones ... I don't see the attraction that sacrificed thinness for battery life. I used to charge my Treo 650 (best smartphone I have ever owned) once a week. I dropped it when out running in the snow and found it by stepping on it 3 hours into my search ... was fine. I used it as my primary device for everything mobile for 6 years and no, never changed the battery.

With 6 smartphones in the household today, no one can get thru a single day. When replacing a cracked screen on one, thought might as well get a new battery and regretted not doing so as within 2 months it stared going shutting off at 35% battery life.

The lack of thermal problems and getting mobile GPU performance up close to that of desktops on notebooks is mostly attributed to the massive improvements in efficiency of nVidia's GPUs. The big problem with slim notebooks is, if you are going to use that GFX power, there is still no escaping what that power does to battery life. I still can't jump on the train in the suburbs and commute to NYC running AutoCAD w/o having a dead battery before I get there... and that's with a whopping huge battery that certainly won't fit in a slim line notebook.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"how games are configured"

So like, everything g is tested on one hardware configuration and optimizations are made for that? Sounds like a great idea. Sony? MS? You guys up for this? Oh, you already do? for decades you say?!

Nothing bad could come of this, I'm all for it

*sarcasm intensifies*

Yeah, that really shoud be ISO 7779:2010 Acoustics -- Measurement of airborne noise emitted by information technology and telecommunications equipment.
Probably just a typo.

https://www.iso.org/standard/54363.html?browse=tc

alextheblue

Distinguished

It's software frame limits (frame targets) and (reduced) power targets. It's marketing at it's finest! The difference is now Nvidia is planning on muscling manufacturers to stick within a range of specs. Probably through "pricing adjustments" for those who do not comply.

The good news for those who want a serious gaming laptop is that this probably won't affect boutique builders.

Drakan

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Yep, if 60fps was good enough for any competitive game I guess it would be interesting.
They should have put any other game but overwatch as an example.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Yeah terrible example. I'm not generally a FPS hound, but Overwatch? Yeesh. Disable that frame capping software ASAP, and if necessary drop settings to milk more frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS