News A Closer Look at the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3090 Founders Edition Coolers

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
show the 3 slots RTX 3090 , I think that the left fan near the slot bracket in the bigger 3 slots has tall fins above the vapor chamber thats why they used 3 slots.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
There are cases with inverted motherboard orientation where the GPU faces the upper case fans and not the bottom while the CPU is at the Bottom ... Maybe thats a better case .

Also , May be Just Maybe some modders can flip the direction of that fan making the intake comes from the CPU direction ? it wont take in hot air because it will be near the front fans ... and it will blow down and into the cards Area and not into the CPU area ..

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Wonder what percentage of high priced top end Nvidia GPUs buyers don't already use an AIO or closed loop cooling system for their CPU to get the most out of their PCs? My guess is that Nvidia has a pretty good idea and this is the tail trying to wag the dog!

CPU reviews (including TH) that compared AMD CPUs with those "excellent wraith air coolers" LOL showed a 3-4% performance increase by substituting an AIO. AMD reportedly stopped providing those "excellent wraith coolers" with its high end CPUS.

Last edited:

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Will the new Nvidia GPU cooler design prevent the build up of dust from clogging the cooler? It should certainly be easier to blow out the straight through cooler on the right side of the card with pressurized air. In the same vein, why don't the GPU fans have screens on them to block dust from the fan intake? I actually have two screens on the intake for my CPU AIO, vacuum them probably every month and dust still builds up on the radiator fins and needs blown out.

Despite periodically blowing out the CPU radiator fins with can of pressurized air, when moving to a new CPU (generally upgrade every 4 years) I've been shocked at the the amount of dust stuck in the radiator when flushing it with water in the sink.

As a 3080 may well max out my 60hz 4K monitor, it may make sense to purchase one with a closed loop AIO cooler attached this time around.

Last edited:
The cooler design with a push/pull arrangement is quite innovative and useful; however, in the day of vertical GPU mounting, using a FE card doesn't seem to make much sense as the benefit would be greatly reduced as I would imagine it. People with that kind of arrangement would be better off waiting for an AIB card with a traditional fan arrangement which may end up working better than this design anyway. Still, for those of us who don't mount out GPUs vertically, this isn't a terrible idea.