[SOLVED] A component is failing, but I don't know which one?

Feb 3, 2020
Hi! Thank you for entering, I could really use a hand or an opinion with this. The other day I turned off my PC, as any other day, and it wouldn't turn back on. This was after a Windows update (windows 10), but I thought nothing of it. The problem came up after I turned it off from the lock screen, after that It wouldn't turn back on, and it wouldn't even show the BIOS or anything. I tried rebooting several times, but nothing changed. My neighbour lend me a hand, we tried connecting his video card into my computer, and everything started up fine. We then switched to my video card again, and everything worked fine. I went on to turn it off again, and afterwards it wouldn't turn on again.

We took out my video card, tested it on his computer, and it wouldn't display anything (his SO started fine). Afterwards, we cleaned it thoroughly and put it back on mine, and it started fine. I didn't turn it off for about 2 weeks, cause I needed it for both work and leisure. I left for the weekend, turned it off, and thought i'd give it a try today when I came back. It started fine, so that's good! But I don't know when it will fail again, and I really can't go on with that uncertainty.

The symptoms were as follows:

- No BIOS screen or anything

- No display

- No keyboard lights (which could probably mean no OS start, since the lights always turn on a few seconds after I turn on the computer)

Specs are as follows:

*Motherboard: Gigabyte p67a-UD4-B3

*Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k CPU @ 3.4GHz

*Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 Ti

*8gb RAM DDR3

Also, I'm using 2 WD Black disks, but they too have a few years on use.

I should say, I previously had an AMD card, by mid-2019, which broke completely. One day it just died. I don't remember the model, but it was released a year earlier than the one I have now.

Also, I read the MB manual, and the troubleshooting section suggests that the video card is the problem. But, since this would be the second video card to start failing in less than a year, could it be any other component? I don't want to replace the video card to later find out that the problem persists and then be obliged to replace another part, 'cause I'm really tight on a budget here. How can I know which components I should replace first?

Solution
I would start with getting a better quality power supply. Most of CM's are not very good, quality wise. It could be damaging your other hardware, as well.
Feb 3, 2020
Update: I cleaned up the PSU. Didn't boot. Took it to my brother's house, plugged it in, and worked instantly. He tried rebooting several times to see if it happened what had happened to me, but no, it booted perfectly. He then had a look at the BIOS settings, but everything was fine. He also resetted the CMOS, I think (removing the MOBO's battery?) But this step was not necessary, I believe.
Came back home, plugged it all in. Didn't boot. I unplugged all devices and left the display only. It boots fine! Turned it off. Plugged in the keyboard and mouse. Didn't boot. Tried booting it with just the keyboard. Didn't boot. Unplugged it again and booted, then connected all devices again and restarted to computer and it booted fine. I'll keep trying to identify the problem in the coming days, since I'm not sure of anything.

Feb 3, 2020
I'll try and save some money to get a new PSU, then. By the way, I'm from Argentina, and the PSU you mentioned I'm not finding it available in the stores I know or online. Here are some of the models I've seen available at the moment. Currently, there are many restrictions on importing anything from outside the country plus a 30% tax on anything valued in foreign currency.
Some models I see available here are:
  • Gigabyte 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular G750H
  • Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W RGB 80 Plus Bronze
Also, every time I turn it off now, I have to clear the CMOS to be able to boot it again.
If I change the PSU and the problem persists, does that mean that I should change the MOBO as well?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020
Update: A friend of mine's lended me his multitester, and some of the pins in the PSU were giving me between 15v to 23v. I guess I've found my culprit. What sucks is that I left my computer at shop where they tried both a new PSU and videocard and the issue remained, which means that I need to replace the PSU, MOBO, processor, and RAM. I want to update to a Ryzen 5 and for that I'll be getting a new MOBO as well, and new RAM since the ones I have are DDR3.
Thank you both Logain and Rafael for answering and giving me a few ideas. I don't think I'll update this threaqd anymore, but I hope that if someone ever stumbles upon this, it helps. There are videos on how to test a dead computer and how to test a PSU. The shop were I left it for testing it took them more than a week to test a few simple things I could've done myself had I had the components. And they didn't test the PSU voltage.