A Computer That Can Be Taken Apart in 2 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Hopefully this promotes people to start seeing the under-hood and appreciate the technicality and beauty of these machines.

But then again, a lot of people just buy apple to have the least encounter with these things.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
It is a great idea but it may not be widely used because it might change the look of many laptops that hold visual design to a high standard.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Anybody in manufacturing will tell you that making devices more modular means an increase in production cost over one that is more integrated. You think the manufacturer is going to cover that cost?

G

Lol. This is so gonna fail. Whatever makes understanding, upgrading and repairing computers easier will undoubtedly result in a loss for computer manufacturers.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
If Manufacturers would sell laptop mainboards, mobile GPU's and CPU's like their desktop counterparts it would make upgrading a laptop like upgrading your desktop, instead of buying a new one every few years.

[citation][nom]ZEPd3Z[/nom]If Manufacturers would sell laptop mainboards, mobile GPU's and CPU's like their desktop counterparts it would make upgrading a laptop like upgrading your desktop, instead of buying a new one every few years.[/citation]

There are some laptops that you can upgrade the GPU in. Most you can upgrade the CPU, memory and HDD. CPU is a bit of a pain and the ones with changeable GPUs are expensive. Not to mention that the CPUs are quite expensive themselves.

But this alone would actually help a tone in repairs. It can take about 30+ minutes to disassemble a laptop, some are even worse (here is lookin at you Sony). Then another 30+ to reassemble and make sure all the screws and connections are in place.

After a while you get used to it and it takes less time but still. Some are a huge pain in the you know what. some you need to completley take apart to get to the LCD screen and some you need to take completley apart to get to the HSF/CPU.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I suppose a complete redesign would be needed, starting from the motherboard, to produce this concept. Still, from a consumers point of view I think this has a lot of merit. The very limited upgradability of laptops has annoyed me for years.

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have worked with AutoDesk Inventor software for all four years of my highschool experience in my engineering class. I've created hundreds and hundreds of models for classwork and also of ideas that I have had. It truly is an amazing tool and wish more people knew about it, but as a result of its amazingness it is very expensive and more known to the industrial world than anywhere. I bet millions of ideas were prototyped and brought to life using AutoDesk Inventor.

Glad to see a brilliant idea modeled using it and I love the fact the AutoDesk company hands out awards to students like these, it'll send them a long way. :)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
would you go for a laptop that's easy to recycle or easy to take apart when it's broken? those are the last things i would think about when
i buy a new laptop!

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hmm...hate to tell these guys but I can completely(motherboard and all components removed) disassemble my Gateway laptop in less than 10 minutes (8-10 minutes is a safe estimate). This takes 10 minutes and could be less if I wasn't laying certain screws out in piles and groups for reassembly. All I require is a single philips screw driver.

While their design will promote recycling by ordinary folks it simply won't catch on but it is a good idea.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is nothing new. IBM's PS/2s Model 50 from 1987 require no tools, had no cables, and were extremely reliable and well made, as well as fully functional with hard disk, floppy disk, slots, etc...

A pity PCs are made like crap now.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Now THIS is a machine you can take apart in 2 minutes!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4777841130150112035#

starting: 14mins 10 seconds or so into the Computer Chronicles Episode. it is and Epic episode

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]This is nothing new. IBM's PS/2s Model 50 from 1987 require no tools, had no cables, and were extremely reliable and well made, as well as fully functional with hard disk, floppy disk, slots, etc...A pity PCs are made like crap now.[/citation]

Hahah you beat me to it!! haha we are nerds aren't we.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Hahah you beat me to it!! haha we are nerds aren't we.[/citation]

I think I've got you beat. I have a Model 50 never used, and a Model 50z never out of the box, as well as two new hard disks for them :p .

In all seriousness, the PS/2s were such wonderful machines. HP and Dell? Uggggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.