[SOLVED] A computer with faulty memory won't ever reboot during a memory test, true or false?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I always had this theoretical doubt on how a memory test works:

I've never met a computer with faulty memory that reboots during a memory test. If it reboots, then it's some other issue that did it, not the memory itself.
So I thought: the test is designed with that in mind, it uses a very small area of memory that it tests first to make sure it's healthy, and then tests the rest of the memory, so that, if faulty, as it is not being used, it cannot reboot the machine.

Is this true? Have you met faulty memory that reboots before the test finds the fault?. I usually use memtest86.

I'd welcome any opinions.

Solution
If you are running Testmem5, it will reboot every time if you get enough errors in a certain test. I don't remember which of the tests it was for me. 4-5 errors wouldn't reboot PC but more than 10 errors would, running the Anta777 config.
In addition to that, with bad memory settings, your computer can bluescreen, lock up, black screen. Basically anything can happen since it is unstable. Including corruption of your files and OS.
In my believe, In any consumer computer setup, faulty RAM can have behaves completely unpredictable. This is because any software and any hardware have assigned a certain chunk of RAM. I don't have enough detail knowledge about shutdown signal from software or keyboard goes through RAM or not, but if it does - then it is not impossible that a certain failure of RAM in the right spot can case this.

When that's said - I once had an old laptop (Acer Aspire something, very cheap and used) that had an issue about hard shutdown during Memtest. After many tests and trials, I never was able to pinpoint the exact issue, but the suspected parts was:
  • Chipset or internal GPU chip with bad soldering spot against the motherboard.
  • Internal power supply.
  • Other damage to motherboard (because the casing had clear signs of being hit, possible fall to the floor from significant height) not possible to spot with naked eye.

Reactions: Rodion15

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
In my believe, In any consumer computer setup, faulty RAM can have behaves completely unpredictable. This is because any software and any hardware have assigned a certain chunk of RAM. I don't have enough detail knowledge about shutdown signal from software or keyboard goes through RAM or not, but if it does - then it is not impossible that a certain failure of RAM in the right spot can case this.

When that's said - I once had an old laptop (Acer Aspire something, very cheap and used) that had an issue about hard shutdown during Memtest. After many tests and trials, I never was able to pinpoint the exact issue, but the suspected parts was:
  • Chipset or internal GPU chip with bad soldering spot against the motherboard.
  • Internal power supply.
  • Other damage to motherboard (because the casing had clear signs of being hit, possible fall to the floor from significant height) not possible to spot with naked eye.
Thanks for your answer. What I'd like to confirm is if it makes sense to rule out the memory modules as faulty when there's reboots during memtest to avoid unpluggling the memory sticks in and out for testing.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If you are running Testmem5, it will reboot every time if you get enough errors in a certain test. I don't remember which of the tests it was for me. 4-5 errors wouldn't reboot PC but more than 10 errors would, running the Anta777 config.
In addition to that, with bad memory settings, your computer can bluescreen, lock up, black screen. Basically anything can happen since it is unstable. Including corruption of your files and OS.

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Look at temperatures and what kind of psu do you have? Also does memtest Show Errors?
As I said, Memtest doesn't show nor log any errors, the machine just reboots. What I'd like to confirm is if it makes sense to rule out the memory modules as faulty when there's reboots during memtest w/o errors, to avoid unpluggling the memory sticks in and out for testing. Not sure you're understanding my question guys. Thanks for your answer.

D

Deleted member 14196

If memtest86 isn’t showing any errors then I’m wondering how reliable your power supply is

Because rebooting while testing memory is not a thing so something is wrong and I wouldn’t just say it’s the memory you’re gonna have to rule everything out