A Confusing USB Problem.

Nurple

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Heya, I've got weird USB problems, and can't seem to work out what's wrong.

I'm using Windows 8 x64, all updated, which had been working without problem for about 8 months now.

I noticed my internel card reader drives (9 pin USB header) kept disappearing and reappearing quickly, in both My Computer, and Device Manager. So I assumed it was dying and bought a new one, but it too did the same thing, so assumed it must be the USB dying, and left it unplugged, and orderd an external card reader which is also doing the same thing.

Sadly my USB flash drives and USB hard drives started doing the same thing, front and back ports, these drives will disappear and reappear a few times then work as normal though, weird thing is my USB printer, mouse, keyboard, and devices in mtp mode work fine.

I tried testing in WinPE v4, and Linux (Ubuntu LiveCD) and everything seems to be working fine, including the internel card reader. So I reinstalled Windows 8 after trying fixes like uninstalling the USB Root entries in Device Manager, and messing with the USB power saving options in Windows, even though they're at the defaults and never caused problems before, but the internel card reader was doing the same thing again before even doing any updates, or installing drivers. Net isn't connected so Windows didn't auto install anything through Windows Update.

The medium used for the install worked before without issue, and I even reburnt the ISO, after checking its hash to make sure it wasn't damaged.

Install medium is a ISO created with Windows8-Setup, when I did this I created a hash for the ISO.

I have found a workaround for the reader, if I disable it within Device Manger before putting a card in, and then enabling the device it works, but once ejected it goes back to disappearing and reappearing again.

The PC is a Dell Inspiron 531, yep it's old.

Nurple

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Heya, I don't think there are any new drivers, at least I couldn't find any, though everything used to work fine so not sure why I'd need newer ones now.