A cooler better than the Xigmatek HDT-S1283

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hi everyone,

Since upping my voltage on my Phenom 940 to 1.45v I am getting a little heat issues.

I currently have the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with Arctic Silver 5 and a Silenx Ixtrema Pro (90cfm) fan.

I am getting current temps of 42c Idle and 50C+ Load.

My question is, is there a better cooler than this that can get me a better temp with the voltage.

I do not want to go to watercooling just yet.

For other info, the Xigmatek's height is just right for my case so if anyone can post any coolers with the same height that the Xigmatek or less then it will be great.

Thanks everyone

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Yes I have. I changed the rear exhast fan to the scythe ultra kaze 2krpm to chuck a lot of air out. My case mostly has mesh so that helps with air flow. What else is there?

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Yes I have. I changed the rear exhast fan to the scythe ultra kaze 2krpm to chuck a lot of air out. My case mostly has mesh so that helps with air flow. What else is there?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I actually have 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 3k RPM fans and the other case fans that came with my P182, although they are running around 1500rpm's. 3000RPM's sound like a jet engine in my house. Check with AMD to see the maximum temperature for the CPU. I have 1.4375 Vcore in Bios on my E6750 for 3.7Ghz. Temps get close to 70C with my Xigmatek S1283. Intel says 71C is the max for the chip. It never goes above 55-60C gaming ever. If you don't plan on keeping your cpu for many years you should be alright.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
The max temps are 63C, so there isn't that much heat to go into.

I've gone into the best ratio of heat and performance and went with 3.6Ghz @ 1.3625v giving me 35C Idle, haven't tried load yet.

I want to change my air intake fan to something with very high cfm but it has to have a 25mm depth.

BTW my case is a Gigabyte iSolo 210 Silver.

Any recommendations of anything that will give me extreme cooling without the water?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Have you tested the stability of your overclock with Orthos or Prime95? If not, run these tests for a minimum of 8hrs, the more the better. Also, use small FFT's to fully stress the CPU. Let us know the highest temps. If you are getting 63C in games, that may be a little high, however, if 63C is your max temp when stress testing, you have nothing to worry about. Your CPU temp is fine.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Thing is even on stock voltages. If I use the max heat test it will just restart the system. And I won't have my temps any higher than 50c. So what could be triggering the restart?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Simple test.

Open the side of your case, and use a house (box/table) fan to blow air into the side of your case and rerun your tests. If you don't get the same issue, you have an airflow issue. If you don't have enough cool air to your fans, adding more fans just blows more hot air.

If you still get the issue, then you have something else, pointing to hardware. Have you tried removing the heatsink, cleaning the CPU and heatsink, reapplying thermal paste and reconnecting the heatsink?

Also, depending on your power supply, perhaps your system isn't getting the power it needs under load and its just shutting down. Remember, sometimes issues that appear to have the symptoms of one problem can be issues of another.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
It's a brand new PSU, the Dark Power Pro Series Be Quiet PSU's have got some real good stability reviews. I wouldn't think it was that.

The thermal paste has been reapplied and the HSF reseated still no change.

As for the heat, I am at 38c idle with the silent setting in asus QFan, even if I do turn it to performance mode or even off it still restarts.

I don't know what it could be. Maybe I should just leave it, when playing games the pc doesn't restart so yeh.