[SOLVED] A cooler for a CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hi,

Can folks suggest an appropriate cooler for this CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core,32 Threads.

My case is a Phanteks Enthoo 719 Black Full Tower Case.

Thanks.

Solution
Your Phanteks Enthoo 719 Black Full Tower Case is quite versatile and will take a top mounted AIO watercooler 3x120mm or 3x140mm RAD.
The Ryzen 9 5950X is quite a hot running 105W TDP processor so requires a decent CPU cooler.

I would recommend a Corsair H100i or equivalent as a min with no Overclocking or the iCUE H150i Elite Capellix is a great choice if you want to Overclock to the max for any extended periods and if it will fit your case.
Your Phanteks Enthoo 719 Black Full Tower Case is quite versatile and will take a top mounted AIO watercooler 3x120mm or 3x140mm RAD.
The Ryzen 9 5950X is quite a hot running 105W TDP processor so requires a decent CPU cooler.

I would recommend a Corsair H100i or equivalent as a min with no Overclocking or the iCUE H150i Elite Capellix is a great choice if you want to Overclock to the max for any extended periods and if it will fit your case.

Solution

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

Thanks... what about air cooling?

Air cooling is inadequate for extended periods on full load. IMO

Some will tell you the Noctua NH-D15 is the best Air cooler for 9 5950X however I disagree. It may work under the lightest of conditions however experience tells me that as soon as boost frequency kicks in the CPU temp will quickly rise above 80C.

You could ofc down clock base frequency and reduce Core Voltage. This however is not an acceptable solution.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5950x will max out at 142w. For aircooling it's strongly recommended to use a cooler capable of 2x the wattage or temps will be high. There really aren't any 300w capacity aircoolers, the largest being beQuiet DarkRock Pro 4, Deepcool Assassin III, and Noctua NH-D15, all of which are 250w+ coolers.

Ryzens don't like heat. An intel at that wattage is fine, they'll go to 90°C easily and not have any performance issues, as the boost is static. However, Ryzens are dynamic boosts, they boost individual cores and clock speeds according to voltages and loads and temps.

So while the big aircoolers will work fine, you'll get higher than wanted temps, which lowers individual core boosts, and will limit the amount of cores seeing max boost.

A 280mm AIO has @ 300w capacity, a 360mm is @ 350w, and the few 420mm have @ 400w capacity. This is a distinct advantage over aircooling, as fan curves will be shallower, with lower overall peaks. That means better ability to disperse heat, lower temps per watt.

You can also use Dram Calculator (with adjustments) to fine tune the ram for better communication with the cpu, faster processing speeds, and CTR2 to limit VID voltages to lower overall voltage use and resultant temps and Gain cpu core performance. Both have a learning curve, and take some thinking, but the end result is higher performance, lower temps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd cpus are very good about self preservation. Basically it thinks 'we have this load, at these current temps and this voltage so we'll assign this amount of boost to the required cores' . Might be 4.82GHz at 60°C. But then you game for a while, things get hotter in the case, you really start getting into intense scenarios and temps climb towards 80ish°C. By then the cpu has decided that's getting a little warm, so backs off on the boost to 4.76GHz instead on 2 of the 4 cores used. Not something you'd notice realistically.

But temps climb anyway, getting to 90°C, at which point the cpu rethinks the whole boost thing, and starts actively dropping boosts across all cores. If temps go down, it stops dropping and levels out. If temps keep climbing, it keeps dropping until it can't. At that point it'll give up the ghost, say 'see-ya' and shut down. Zero damage.

Unless you do something dumb like treat the Ryzen like an intel, and force a static OC at high voktages. Then it'll ramp to 90°C ish, then decide its too warm or voltages are far too high and if killing the OC doesn't work, it shuts down. Still Zero damage.

Ryzens don't care about what temps You think are good, bad or indifferent, it only cares about what temps It thinks are good, bad or indifferent. It won't let temps hurt itself.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Amd cpus are very good about self preservation. Basically it thinks 'we have this load, at these current temps and this voltage so we'll assign this amount of boost to the required cores' . Might be 4.82GHz at 60°C. But then you game for a while, things get hotter in the case, you really start getting into intense scenarios and temps climb towards 80ish°C. By then the cpu has decided that's getting a little warm, so backs off on the boost to 4.76GHz instead on 2 of the 4 cores used. Not something you'd notice realistically.

But temps climb anyway, getting to 90°C, at which point the cpu rethinks the whole boost thing, and starts actively dropping boosts across all cores. If temps go down, it stops dropping and levels out. If temps keep climbing, it keeps dropping until it can't. At that point it'll give up the ghost, say 'see-ya' and shut down. Zero damage.

Unless you do something dumb like treat the Ryzen like an intel, and force a static OC at high voktages. Then it'll ramp to 90°C ish, then decide its too warm or voltages are far too high and if killing the OC doesn't work, it shuts down. Still Zero damage.

Ryzens don't care about what temps You think are good, bad or indifferent, it only cares about what temps It thinks are good, bad or indifferent. It won't let temps hurt itself.

Ok, at the moment I'll try the Noctua NH-D15 as I won't be over loading it that much. I'm still a few months away from buying so will continue the research.