Question A couple minutes after clean boot or wake up from sleep, mouse starts to lag, PC freezes for a few minutes, then everything resumes to normal use.

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Within the past month this issue has started. I'll start up my PC when it's off or wake it from sleep, then I'll use my PC for a couple minutes until the mouse cursor starts to move sluggishly. After about 5-10 seconds the screen will freeze and become unresponsive. Sometimes I can still move the mouse around unable to click anything and other times the mouse will freeze. After a couple of minutes everything will return to working normally. My PC has no problems running demanding games or just with normal use afterwards. This is only a problem right after a clean boot or a wake up from sleep. Once the freeze passes the PC works perfectly. I've had this PC for years and this is the first time encountering this issue. Any ideas what could be causing this?

CPU - i5 4690k
MOBO - ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150
GPU - GTX 970
RAM - G.SKILL TridentX 16GB DDR3
PSU - CORSAIR HX Series HX750
SSD - SAMSUNG 860 EVO
Windows 7

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor for what apps are being launched at Startup.

Could be some buggy or corrupted app attempting to update, backup, "phone home"....

Reliability History/Manager may be capturing some related error code or warning. Likewise Event Viewer.

Look for log entries that correspond with the times that the mouse becomes sluggish, freezes, or otherwise problematic.

Also: have you tried downloading, reinstalling, and reconfiguring the applicable Windows 7 mouse drivers via the manufacturer's website? Even though the mouse does eventually begin to work normally does not eliminate a driver problem or some conflict per se.

TRENDING THREADS