[SOLVED] a couple of weeks ago.. a friend told me their pc running windows 7 ultimate.. started taking 5 minutes to boot up

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
it had been working fine but a couple of weeks ago they mentioned to me that on the windows start up screen. it would hang for about 5 minutes and eventually get into windows and be ok.. i had told them to check start up programs and they sent me a screen shot.. they had avast antivirus.. and bittorrent and only a couple other programs in there. i know bittorrent can take up memory at start up but i dont think minutes.. i am still waiting to hear back if they loaded any programs a couple weeks ago or so.... since it had been working fine.. any other ideas???

Solution
If Windows is installed on a hard drive then it's probably the hard drive. Hard drives last a long time but they're really slow compared to SSDs. I would recommend going on command prompt (right click run as administrator) and do the command: sfc /scannow which scans your system for corrupt Windows files and repairs them.

OF_freeCn

Commendable
Apr 12, 2019
If Windows is installed on a hard drive then it's probably the hard drive. Hard drives last a long time but they're really slow compared to SSDs. I would recommend going on command prompt (right click run as administrator) and do the command: sfc /scannow which scans your system for corrupt Windows files and repairs them.

Solution

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
i finally heard back from my friend.. seems he DID find errors after doing SFC but the system was unable to correct the errors.. i am unable to attach pic of it.. but it states" beginning verification phases of system scan. verification is 100% complete.. Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" does he need to reset his pc??

i finally heard back from my friend.. seems he DID find errors after doing SFC but the system was unable to correct the errors.. i am unable to attach pic of it.. but it states" beginning verification phases of system scan. verification is 100% complete.. Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" does he need to reset his pc??

Sounds like a new drive is needed along with a clean Windows setup.