Question A couple questions regarding Intel Turbo Boost, VCore voltage, and Windows power profiles

neomulemi6

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
My processor turbo boosts from 4.0ghz to 4.4ghz by default. I noticed that if I disable turbo boost, manually OC my processor to 4.4, and use the Balanced power plan in Windows, the behavior is basically identical. I'm running at 4.4 under load, and it clocks down (to 800mhz) when idle. So what's the benefit of using turbo boost?

Second question. My motherboard sets the cpu vcore way too high when I leave it on auto, so I found the lowest stable voltage to run 4.4ghz, and set the vcore manually. This has resulted in much lower temperatures. Problem is, while my cpu clocks down when idle, the voltage stays static and never goes down. If I leave the vcore on auto, it also goes down as the clocks go down. I can't figure out how to have a static voltage that still drops when idle. I've enabled all C-states and it seems to make no difference. Also tried using adaptive voltage with an offset, but it seems to completely ignore the offset and use the same voltage as auto. I'm stumped by this.

Zakster

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Turbo boost is the CPU having a higher clock speed applied as long as a limit of temperature or power. Different states of turbo boost exists. Single core is the highest state then following all core turbo boost. Its an automatic overclock and is covered with warranty.

By you overclocking the you have applied the same clock speed as the turbo boost feature. However, you may have applied a lower vcore on the CPU making the temperature drop, thus making the efficiency of the CPU better. The CPU is downclocking its self because of a BIOS setting which I currently can't rememeber.

The potential solution to your problem is to find the BIOS setting I referred to and turn the setting to a disabled state.

could it be C-state? if im not wrong by default its enabled, so as the %usage of the CPU drops, so does the volts to reduce heat and strain, you might have disabled it as it has nothing to do with load line calibration.

LLC just tries to compensate with a few extra mVs because at high cpu loads the power supplied, say, 1.4v actually drops a bit e.g. 1.387v and so LLC tries to compensate to provide stability