Question A CPU question about clock speed and stability.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello! I just wanted to ask a question about two different CPU's. Those being the Ryzen 5 5600x and the Ryzen 7 5800x3d.

So, I did a test with both cards and the Ryzen 5 5600x was stable and caused no stuttering within games. Only downside is it was noticeably weaker and noticed alot of lower framerate.

And as you can probably guess.. the Ryzen 7 5800x3d was amazing in performance but had constant dips in its frequency, from 4.1 to 3.3.

I am assuming that these dips in clock speeds are what is causing such a hard stutter while playing games. If anyone has any kind of information about this, no matter how small, would be incredibly helpful. Thank you.

PSU: Seasonic 850w GOLD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600 DDR4
MB: ASUS Tuf X570 Plus WiFi
Storage: Samsung EVO 1tb
GPU: RTX 3070 MSI Trio
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Cooler: Pure Rock 2
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey 144hz

Last edited:

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
What cpu cooler are you using and what kind of temps are you seeing while gaming with the 5800x3d, it could be thermal throttling? Can you run Home - UserBenchmark and post a link to your results.
Here ya go. Did it this morning.
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (3dmark.com)

Also I failed to remember that the Rock 4 was too big for my motherboard and forgot that my wife returned it for me and picked up a Pure Rock 2 instead.

Sounds like thermal throttling.
The 5800x3d is a strong chip that runs hot.

Run hwmonitor, it will give you the minimum, current and maximum temperatures.
look at the core temperatures. At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
If much more, your cooler may not be mounted well.
If you can, monitor the individual core temperatures.
A side monitor is great fore this. I think the throttle point for ryzen is about 90c. While the tdp is 105w it will turbo much higher and The cooler is likely not good enough.

When you throttle, the cpu slows down until the temperature goes back to normal.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?

Reactions: kurdtnz

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Sounds like thermal throttling.
The 5800x3d is a strong chip that runs hot.

Run hwmonitor, it will give you the minimum, current and maximum temperatures.
look at the core temperatures. At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
If much more, your cooler may not be mounted well.
If you can, monitor the individual core temperatures.
A side monitor is great fore this. I think the throttle point for ryzen is about 90c. While the tdp is 105w it will turbo much higher and The cooler is likely not good enough.

When you throttle, the cpu slows down until the temperature goes back to normal.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
Temps under load is 60c - 70c
Min: 40c
Max: 73c
Average: 63

My case is the Lian Li Lancool II MESH Performance Type C Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black - Micro Center

I installed three fans at the top that push the air out.

Latest posts