Question A CPU upgrade keeps freezing my PC

Aug 16, 2019
Hi, all.

So I recently upgraded my main work/game PC from the i7-8700K to the i9-9900K. The PC acknowledged the CPU but it keeps freezing every single time I’m on Windows.

Okay, so I might have to reinstall Windows then, right? I then proceeded to do so but here’s the thing, my PC freezes even while I’m reinstalling Windows. I can’t move my cursor or do anything. It would always freeze on this window. It also gave the the Blue Screen of Death once.

Things that I have done:
  • Disabling XMP (I set it back to Auto)
  • Resetting the CMOS via the back button on the motherboard
  • Reinstalling the CPU and the cooler (I checked and made sure there is no bent pins on the CPU socket)
  • Taking out and putting the battery back in
I talked to someone at Canada Computers since I bought the CPU from there and they said it might have something to do with the NVME I'm trying to reinstall Windows to. I have deleted every single partition until it says "Unallocated" (which is also what I do every single time I install Windows to any other computer before this one), but the problem still persists.

I’m at the point where I don’t know what else to do... Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Here is my PC specs:
  • i9-9900K
  • Maximus Hero XI (Wi-Fi)
  • Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-3200
  • ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC
Thank you so, so much in advance for all your replies.

Aug 16, 2019
BIOS version would have been the first thing I checked and updated.

If you are running any BIOS less than 1005 which appears to be the newest....you need to update it to 1005. There is no question about this.

....and you're welcome. ;)

Yes... I'll give an update in about 4-5 hours. Right now, the BIOS is of version 0805. The support for the i9-9900K starts at version 1005 and apparently there is a new version, 1105, which is the one I should be updating to, right..?

Anyway, I see a faint light at the end of the tunnel now. Thank you very much, you two.

Aug 16, 2019
If you are running any BIOS less than 1005 which appears to be the newest....you need to update it to 1005. There is no question about this.

....and you're welcome. ;)

Btw, just a quick question: shouldn’t my motherboard be able to accept the i9-9900K out of the box since it has the Z390 chip?

"Btw, just a quick question: shouldn’t my motherboard be able to accept the i9-9900K out of the box since it has the Z390 chip? "
I can't say with certainty.

...and make sure you use the old CPU to update the BIOS.
This might be obvious but it's super important your CPU doesn't skitz during the BIOS update or you can ruin the MB.

....and as far as 1105
I don't see it.

Aug 16, 2019
"Btw, just a quick question: shouldn’t my motherboard be able to accept the i9-9900K out of the box since it has the Z390 chip? "
I can't say with certainty.

...and make sure you use the old CPU to update the BIOS.
This might be obvious but it's super important your CPU doesn't skitz during the BIOS update or you can ruin the MB.

....and as far as 1105
I don't see it.

Yeah, about that... I've sold the old CPU to some guy on Craigslist. Yes, I'm a dumb-dumb...

But the motherboard allows me to update it without going to Windows so I'm going to give that a try. Wish me luck!

TRENDING THREADS