A cubic water block that would allow both water attachments and a heatsink?

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
This probably seems like a silly idea, but I would like to have both types of cooling at once. I have a pretty old AIO water cooler and I don't want to toss it in the garbage but I also don't 100% trust it.

I was thinking of eventually moving to a 'real' water cooling solution just for kicks. So I was hoping something like this existed already. I suppose if it doesn't I can probably get a small copper block and weld it onto a standard water block then weld a heat sink on the top and hopefully find a way to attach the AIO cooler to one of the sides.

What do you guys think? Crazy idea or something that just might work?

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

on paper it is possible , but no one tried this yet as far as I know. and it is risky you might damage the CPU socket .

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Yeah I was hoping something like this existed already. The closest I see is a copper cpu block that costs 100 bucks and is pretty thick but not arranged as I would need. At least it proves the concept that you can transfer heat that far through copper (which I was pretty sure of anyway).

Copper stock is pretty cheap but I can't find anything thick enough. It's also quite heavy which could be a problem once a heatsink is added into the equation.

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Maybe I could just attach a small copper heat sink directly to a copper water block, similar to the ones on my motherboard and then point a heavyweight fan at it. I am not sure how to get a good connection though. I guess that solder is mostly silver so maybe that would be good enough? Probably there is special solder that is more conductive of heat, too.

I don't want to necessarily get a mega amount of heat dissipation from the heat sink, just enough to keep it from cooking out if the water pump seized up. That seems like something that is reasonably likely to be achievable.

Looking at the sizes involved the all in one water cooler is not that practical so I would just forget about that. I would have to have a 5 inch thick copper block which would weigh already 1000 grams or so without any heatsink!

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/Chamber-Narrow-Passive-heatsink-Socket/dp/B01HFV77AW/ref=sr_1_64?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472317229&sr=1-64&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A4915401011

Ok, looks like I sort of answered my own question but I think something like this combined with a flat topped copper water cooling block could work. I would weld it onto the block with high silver content solder though, not attach it normally obviously.

So it does not matter it's the wrong socket.

Hmm, or maybe these need the airflow to come from the side to dissipate heat well?

maybe this zalman heatsink would be better, or something like that welded on but I wonder how much weight I can safely weld onto a water block.

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Computer-Prevention-Heatsink-CNPS9500AT/dp/B000HKDA0U/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1472316938&sr=8-13&keywords=copper+heatsink

I like that this one goes upward mostly and not sideways. Probably simplify things a lot.

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I ditched the AIO idea but it should be fine with custom loop and copper water block with flat top.

As I said already the point is extra reliability in case of pump failure.

Also, not sure what I was thinking with silver solder. You definitely want copper, and having the same material in the block and heatsink was on purpose, I just sort of forgot why.