[SOLVED] A decent percentage of my RAM is under usage.

Lefteris13

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Hello,
I am using the Hp Pavilion 15-EC0001NW with an 8gb Ram setup (2 x 4096mb at 2400 MHz). However, only the 5.92 out of 8 are available for direct usage, leaving a good 26% occupied either by system or hardware.
I have searched for basic troubleshooting at Hp forums, nonetheless, I was not able to find a thread related to my issue.

Is there any viable way to access a more substantial part of the RAM?

My laptop uses an AMD Ryzen 5 3550H processor, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB graphics card and a 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD.

Solution
To answer this question specifically, you could do a cleanup of background processes and services you don't need. Though this is something I recommend you do with caution and it may or may not bring down the RAM usage that much.

I also believe that due to the way Windows manages memory (i.e., needing a place to store memory usage tables), adding more RAM increases RAM usage by a bit.

Lefteris13

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Having 2GB of RAM "in use" sounds pretty normal, even with no programs open. Also, "in use" is more of a dynamic reserved chunk that Windows takes.

Nothing to worry about here.
Thanks for answering. I dug further into it and as you say 2gb seems reasonable for this specific set up.
Nevertheless, I decided to go with a ram upgrade.

To answer this question specifically, you could do a cleanup of background processes and services you don't need. Though this is something I recommend you do with caution and it may or may not bring down the RAM usage that much.

I also believe that due to the way Windows manages memory (i.e., needing a place to store memory usage tables), adding more RAM increases RAM usage by a bit.

Reactions: Lefteris13
Solution

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
I dont even know if there is anything you could do to save 2Gbs from usage, I have a pc with an 8Gb stick that has a brand new drive and install of windows on it and it uses 1.9-2.1 at any given time with nothing open.

TRENDING THREADS