[SOLVED] A different kind of storage question?

truckinboots

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
SO, I just ported over my computer system to a new case and downsized it a bit to fit easier in the space, still mATX but anyway. Recently I started a clean up, and discovered, I have multiple HDMI cables, DVI cables, probably 15 cat5/6 cables, i have cards that add USB ports to the back of the machine, 2 internal / 1 external dvd/blue ray/burner player, and all those internal power cables (molex and and sata styles), as well as the sata cables i think i have +15 of each, plus all the extra's and stuff and all that. My question is this, HOW much of this stuff, do you STORE as replacement / potential usage parts for later, like I have 2 x 140mm case / 3 x 120 mm case / 3 x 90mm case fans all in excess. So how do you decide what to keep and what to throw away?

Best ... and thanks

Solution
when was the last time you needed one of those? that's the answer to your question. if you have not needed one in years, then any more than 1 spare is too many.

however, if you use need them often, then you can never have enough. i fix pc's for a living and save all i can get cause i am always needing them. easier for me to keep sata cables and grab as i go than need one and run to the store. cheaper for me as well since most come out of other systems that i scrapped for parts. i keep those power button switches and mobo pin connections and other small tings like that as well since i get a lot of folks with broken switches and such.

i still have a few ide and floppy cables and a few floppy drives, dvd-burners and the like that i...
If you have old cartons use them to pack all these stuff in and store them. All of them can come in handy if the ones you are using fail. But if you have time to do testing and find out that few of the components are non functional simply throw them away. Recommend using different cartons for storing cables and components separately as it will be easy to sort and less messy.

Reactions: truckinboots

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when was the last time you needed one of those? that's the answer to your question. if you have not needed one in years, then any more than 1 spare is too many.

however, if you use need them often, then you can never have enough. i fix pc's for a living and save all i can get cause i am always needing them. easier for me to keep sata cables and grab as i go than need one and run to the store. cheaper for me as well since most come out of other systems that i scrapped for parts. i keep those power button switches and mobo pin connections and other small tings like that as well since i get a lot of folks with broken switches and such.

i still have a few ide and floppy cables and a few floppy drives, dvd-burners and the like that i occasionally need but i'm not keeping any new ones of those since they rarely are needed anymore.

a lot of that ethernet cable sitting around is older stuff rated at 10 Mbs so it can go too. i only hold on to Cat5/e or better now since most folks need at least the 100 Mbs stuff.

Reactions: truckinboots
Solution

truckinboots

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
If you have old cartons use them to pack all these stuff in and store them. All of them can come in handy if the ones you are using fail. But if you have time to do testing and find out that few of the components are non functional simply throw them away. Recommend using different cartons for storing cables and components separately as it will be easy to sort and less messy.

So keep everything is what your advising, I know the physical components work, but I'm not sure I need 15 cat5 / rj45 / ethernet cables. I mean their really taking up space, also is there any point to keep old INSTALL discs, especially for games, i mean everything is a DL now. making me thinking about stuffs. (maybe this is just me being cathartic - dunno) just trying to figure out value of stuff.

truckinboots

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
Yeah I tossed out some of the case fans, because they were old and dirty / and I almost always go for blue LED color ones - these were all blank, kept some of the 120's and 90's though, just in case, tossed out cat 5, kept 5e/6, and tossed 2 x dvd's, kept 1 usb external, and so on, power cables int/ext, sata's, ide's, screws / mobo pegs / etc. all kept / most install cd's for active devices still kept. but about 30% reduction.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the one thing i do keep is the mobo box from a new build. i put all the manuals, extra pieces and so on from the full build into that one large box and hold on to it. so when i need that little cover i did not use right away or that extra dodad that came with the gpu, i know where it is.

when i build pc's for clients i do the same for them. all the manuals, stickers, parts and so on in the mobo box to send home with them. biggest thing folks lose are those extra psu cables from modular units. so when i package them all in one place they tend to have better chance of not losing it.