A different speed memory dilemma

sbdragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
Well, please, help me with this problem:
My system is MSI kt333 board and palomino 1600+
I had 256MB ddr266 module, and I recently replaced it with a 512MB ddr333 module. So, I ask you, is there any reasonable use for that old memory in my system? What will happen if I try to run it at 333MHz, maybe adjusting voltage? Or should I rather put it into trash can, cause I have been unsuccesfuly trying to sell it a few months?
thank you for any suggestions

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd leave the PC2100 (DDR266) in the first slot and add the PC2700 (DDR333) to the second. Your CPU has a DDR266 bus, no need to run your RAM faster than that, and having 768MB of RAM rather than 512MB can give you a performance advantage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I should also mention, in case you didn't know, that all the RAM will run the same speed, so that having both modules installed should result in BIOS automatically using the slower speed of the first module.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>