A disk read error occured press ctrl alt del

joe sterling

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I'm trying to install windows 8 into my new built pc using my flash drive then i get the error "A disk read error occured press ctrl alt del". I have set the USB to boot first and in the bios boot menu i have set the usb hd as 1st and the hard disk as 2nd, I have the 3rd as disabled. I have configured the SATA AHCI. I'm not sure if the hard drive is causing the error but I have it plug in sata 2 port 1.
I formated my usb to fat32 from NTSF to see if it would fix. I'm trying it now

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
8gb 2x4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 500gb

Solution

AHCI also enables NCQ (native command queuing). This means if the computer is making multiple simultaneous disk requests, it gives them all to the drive at once and the drive performs them in the fastest order. Without it, each request gets processed sequentially (one has to finish before the drive gets the next one).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

This doesn't help HDDs much (they're still limited by platter rotation speed), but it makes a pretty substantial improvement on SSDs (which are so fast they can process multiple requests before the CPU can queue another request). You...
if you dont intend hotpluging sata drives (connecting and disconnecting while the system is on) you dont need ahci enabled.
also make sure the usb is bootable as a flash hdd and that your board supports booting off a dump stick.

that error normally means it cant find a boot-able drive so it sounds to me like the flash drive either isnt supported as a boot device or it hasnt been properly formated and setup properly as a boot device.

joe sterling

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

"also make sure the usb is bootable as a flash hdd" Can you help me with that? I'm using a Lexar 8GB. Can you help me correctly format my Flash Drive? I have tried Rufus. sorry I'm really tired. Do you there is something wrong with my Hard Drive / CPU ?

AHCI also enables NCQ (native command queuing). This means if the computer is making multiple simultaneous disk requests, it gives them all to the drive at once and the drive performs them in the fastest order. Without it, each request gets processed sequentially (one has to finish before the drive gets the next one).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

This doesn't help HDDs much (they're still limited by platter rotation speed), but it makes a pretty substantial improvement on SSDs (which are so fast they can process multiple requests before the CPU can queue another request). You definitely want AHCI on if you're using a SSD. If you're planning to switch to a SSD in the near future, you want it on as well. Windows doesn't respond well to this setting changing, and will fail to boot. It's fixable with a bit of hacking, but it's a lot easier if you just install with AHCI on in the first place.

But if you're only ever going to use a HDD, then yeah you can put it in IDE mode and see if that helps.

Solution

joe sterling

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

It is now in IDE mode. I used YUMI to boot windows 7 using usb drive. after completing installation I got this error "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware" and after i restarted my pc, I got, "windows could not complete the installation. to install windows on this computer restart the installation"