Question A disk read error occurred after fresh install

Mer08

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
I just installed Windows XP on my Pentium II/Celeron system and when I finished installation step 1 (the part where you boot from CD then format and copy files) after the reboot the message "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" appears. I have tried two discs, one was just burnt and the other had some time but both failed to install correctly, so I discard the CDs or ISOs being bad (I used different ISOs). The hard drive isn't bad because it had a Windows 98 SE install and it worked great, and it's a SATA hard drive hooked up to a SATA to IDE adapter.

I will list my specs just in case it's necessary:
  • PCChips/Elpina M717 (you can look it up at theretroweb)
  • Intel Pentium II/Celeron 266MHz
  • 256MB SDR SDRAM
  • (Integrated in motherboard) SiS 6326

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Windows XP does not know what a Sata drive is. You will need the correct Sata driver per your MB chipset.

Shortly into the XP Setup, there is an option to hit F6 and load additional drivers not included on the MS setup CD. It comes and goes pretty quick so be watching the bottom of the screen. This however, will only allow for loading extra drivers via a 3.5 floppy. If your machine does not have one, or you don't have a portable USB floppy drive, then you'll need to create a slipstream ISO setup which you add the Sata driver to.

The slipstream ISO can be burned to a CD, or put on a USB thumb drive.

Even though you had an older OS installed with the SATA to IDE adapter, I'm guessing there must have been some Sata drivers involved in that setup.

Last edited:

Mer08

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
Windows XP does not know what a Sata drive is. You will need the correct Sata driver per your MB chipset.
No, it's a SATA -> IDE adapter. IDE plugs into the motherboard and SATA into the hard drive. The adapter will make it behave like a standard ATAPI HDD.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
If your adapter actually negates the need for Windows XP Sata drivers, that's something I'm not familiar with.

Other issues might be the Slave/Master/Cable Select jumper on the HDD (if present). Or perhaps you're ISO's were created using pirated corrupted media.

Mer08

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
If your adapter actually negates the need for Windows XP Sata drivers, that's something I'm not familiar with.

Other issues might be the Slave/Master/Cable Select jumper on the HDD (if present). Or perhaps you're ISO's were created using pirated corrupted media.
Could there be a BIOS setting causing this?

Mer08

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
I found the solution to my problem. I had to connect the hard drive to my modern PC and reformat it completely using Disk Management (erasing the partition and making a new NTFS, then not formatting it from the Windows installer)

after the reboot the message "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" appears.

The hard drive isn't bad because it had a Windows 98 SE install and it worked great
This error means exactly that - a bad HDD.
Win98SE files probably were not placed in damaged area on the disk.

Check drive health with HDtune health. Post screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)