"A disk read error occurred" after Windows 10 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamil_

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Hello,
After updating Windows 10 few days ago I receive the following message: "A disk read error occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart." (after restart it's the same). I have installed Ubuntu alongside the Windows and it says something like "not able to mount the /dev/sda" (I don't remember exactly).
If I boot Ubuntu from live-USB I can see all the files on the HDD (and I can also read and edit them).
Boot-repair (removed and installed grub) didn't help.
Ubuntu installator is able to see partitions, also I can recreate partitions, but there is error during installation (it cannot create swap).
Do you know what may be the cause of this?

Solution
Hi there Kamil_,

Most probably the HDD is failing.
You need to use some data recovery tool for DOS and try to recover some of the data(or attach the HDD to another system and use some OS based tools).
Also, trying something simple as just attaching the HDD with different cables to a different ports will not hurt.
Afterwards, you can test it with some brand specific testing tool.

I don't think Win 10 has something to do with the failing drive.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Oh dear....

Well, looks like your hard drive is dying...

Best thing you could do now is completely format the hard disk and download Windows 7 from somewhere and mount the iso onto a USB Stick, booting off of he usb stick and re-installing and reactivating Windows.

Yeah, that's the best you can do since you said you were having issues installing ubuntu too and getting disk errors which means your HDD has a problem!

Windows 10 is known to screw up people's computers, I would avoid it as it has completely destroyed one of my computers, (fried the mobo) from blue screens... Driver issues... Compatibility issues... Failure....

Any more issues comment here or private message me.

Thanks,

tkhsda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
If you have important files to lose Look for a dos based chkdsk or a rescue disk. There used to be one called hiren's ...something. Acronis also has a dos type disc program (it does backups and restores, so it may do more)
If you can't do that or don't have anything to lose then go with a clean slate and back to your os of choice. THEN try a check disk after install.
Edit I agree with above win 10 is the devil. ;)

Hi there Kamil_,

Most probably the HDD is failing.
You need to use some data recovery tool for DOS and try to recover some of the data(or attach the HDD to another system and use some OS based tools).
Also, trying something simple as just attaching the HDD with different cables to a different ports will not hurt.
Afterwards, you can test it with some brand specific testing tool.

I don't think Win 10 has something to do with the failing drive.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

DanielC3

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Just a side note, yes, it probably is windows 10 doing the drive failure. It has killed two external hard drives that had worked perfectly for 1 year and 6 months respectively (almost a few days apart, suddenly couldn't read them on any computer or OS) and now it has just killed (with that error) my main and fairly new SSD. No idea on solution but I'm going to look into the 'revert to Win7' solution posted earlier, this has been.. probably the single most destructive OS and experience in all my years with using computers (and I'm no slouch)

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished

It fried my motherboard, I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS