A disk read error occurred. Pres Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

CMS1905

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hi,

I had Windows 8.1 installed on my computer when this error first time occured. I thought the hard disk is dead so I bought a new one. On this one I installed Windows 10.

After 4 days my computer freezed while I was gaming. I pushed the restart button and after this the same error came up again "A disk error occurred ..."

I do not think that the hard disk is faulty. Is it possible that other components have a problem? Like the RAM or the motherboard?

Solution
It could mean that there is something wrong with the drive indeed. Yet, you need to try attaching it to a different port with different cables. You can even attach it to a different system in order to be sure whether there is something wrong with your system or the HDD.
As it is recognized by BIOS, you can try testing it with some HDD testing tool for DOS, as I've already mentioned. Most of the HDD manufacturers have their own testing tools which you can find over their website.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there CMS1905,

It may be a good idea to double check the connections. You can attach the HDD with different cables(SATA and power ones) to a different SATA port.
The HDD is recognized by BIOS right? In case it is, you can use some HDD testing tool for DOS mode and check out its health status.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

CMS1905

Reputable
May 28, 2015

The HDD is recognized by BIOS but not under the real name of the HDD. There are some random letters and some symbols. What could these mean?

Thank you for the answer

It could mean that there is something wrong with the drive indeed. Yet, you need to try attaching it to a different port with different cables. You can even attach it to a different system in order to be sure whether there is something wrong with your system or the HDD.
As it is recognized by BIOS, you can try testing it with some HDD testing tool for DOS, as I've already mentioned. Most of the HDD manufacturers have their own testing tools which you can find over their website.

D_Know_WD :)

Solution

CMS1905

Reputable
May 28, 2015

I have a second PC with Linux OS on it. I will try to attach the HDD to this system to see if I am able to recover the data from it. Secondly I will try to use some testing tools to see if the HDD is able to be fixed.
I will post my results after doing this.
Ty

CMS1905

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Hi, I have done what you said and it worked! I have attached the HDD to the same port but with another cable and everything worked fine. So it was the cable that was faulty, I guess.

Ty