Question A fast and reliable Flash Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AziraWinds

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
My TV doesn't really like anything but USB drives, so Flash Drives are my only real option.
Looking to get a couple decent drives, and the two I have found are 'HP x900w' and 'PNY Turbo Elite Attache 3 '.
I don't want to deal with 12hr transfers or running out of space, and there's no real information on their transfer rates or reliability that I can find. I'm looking at 256 or 512 models of the two. Or maybe something different is better?

AziraWinds

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
Technically, SSD disks would be treated the exact same way as USB flash drives!

My uneducated guess is that the power output through the USB port on my TV isn't enough to actually power the drives.
The light turns on(Enclosure), but the drive doesn't actually spin(HDD) and/or connect(SSD)

Anyway, for USB flash drives, check out San Disk Extreme Pro
or have a look here:

https://www.adata.com/us/feature/145

The Adata store seems empty..? Amazon has few Adata choices, and I'm not sure I'd trust them.

The Sandisk looks nice, though half the space for a little higher price of the two I listed?
Is there a difference? My sister brought me her Sandisk Flash Drive and it took over 12hrs to put 114gb of movies on it.
Speed? Lifespan? Durability? I don't actually know the how fast the HP or PNY transfer either, and I know the listed value is basically 'theoretical speed' and the real speed of a 3.1 could be slower than a 2.0.
If I'm going to drop a couple hundred, I'd like it to last a while. (I also just found out PNY has a 1TB Flash Drive...)

popatim

Titan
Like everything iin the PC world, flashdrives are segmented by size and performance. And you pay for performance.
While some use the USB3 inteface, they cant actually perform any better then usb1 or 2.
The Sandisk Extreme Pro is one fo the upper tier speed-wise.

Does your TV have usb3 ports?

AziraWinds

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
Got a PNY Pro-Elite 256GB. Feels nice in my hands and easy to pull out.
Its speed seems to vary. For 20~30 seconds, I can write to it at 280MB/s, before it drops to a shifting 20~90MB/s. Later on, it went to 13~40MB/s. I don't know the circumstances for the speed variations, since they are all on the same port and general GB file-sizes.

Overall, a decent drive. Spend half an hour to fill it up compared to twelve to fill up half that amount on previous drives.
Probably going to get more if it holds up for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.