Question A faulty motherboard?

Oliie

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
Hello. I have a somewhat odd problem and honestly I ran out of ideas at this point.

The problem: Yesterday when booting up PC I suddenly got a BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume. The PC rebooted itself and then just booted normally. The BSOD was 100% reproducible - it would always BSOD at first boot (from a shut down PC) but when it'd restart itself it would work just fine. I also noticed my PC got a lot slower at that point. I googled around and the first step was to update Windows. After doing that (I think, or maybe it was before?) I'd get another BSOD at startup - Critical Process Died. Then at some point I'd get yet another BSOD - this was related to a driver regarding Gigabyte's AORUS, so I just got rid of it and since then I had no more BSODs. However I've noticed the following things:
  • PC is a lot slower,
  • the sound on videos (on YT for example) sometimes gets slight stutters (the buzzing kind)
  • takes very long to boot - first it shows the BIOS splash screen (relatively quickly since pressing POWER), then it takes a while to load windows and goes blank with the Windows login chime, and then after a few seconds the login screen shows up. It all takes far longer than it did a few days ago.
  • when shutting down, after the Windows has shut down, the PC still runs for a while and then it turns off. This has not happened before.
  • having benchmarked my SSD (which I'm running Windows on) I've noticed that it's running at half the speed it should. I can't testify if it's been running at full speed before though, but considering the slow down I think it may have. It's a SATA SSD (Crucial MX500 to be exact),
  • tried installing Intel's Network driver but it wouldn't let me since it'd say the installer is not responding,
  • similarly tried installing Realtek's HD Audio driver but it would get stuck at the very beginning of the installation bar

Before all those events I haven't really installed anything or changed anything that could possibly trigger it. It started happening out of the sudden.

What I've tried so far (hopefully a complete list, since there's been a plenty of stuff):
  • SFC - no problems,
  • DISM - no problems,

• Windows Troubleshooter - no problems,
  • updated BIOS,
  • updated Chipset drives,
  • booted into Safe Mode - didn't help the slowdowns, but it actually made the PC shut down and turn off right away,
  • the SATA cable seemed wobbly so I swapped it into another port (I have 6 of those on my motherboard) but it didn't help
  • bought a new SATA cable but that also didn't help
  • swapped SATA cables with a HDD I'm using along that SSD but that didn't help either
  • tried running PC only from my Integrated Intel Graphics but that changed nothing
  • plugged and tested another SSD, and again - the speeds seemed to be about half of what it was designed (or well, far lower than they should be for an SSD)
  • unplugged unneeded USB devices - no change
  • checked the Power settings to have no hibernations or sleep or anything like that
  • checked the BIOS settings for anything out of the ordinary
  • checked the temperatures of SSD, HDD, CPU and GPU and they seem in order
  • the speeds (clocks?) on CPU and GPU are within a norm
  • SMART doesn't show any errors with the SSD
  • however an extensive CHKDSK showed an error which it was unable to fix
  • checked for suspicious reports in the Event Viewer but aside from those BSODs from before there were no critical errors, only a few alerts, however it was nothing new, when looking at the dates. Just stuff that has been appearing frequently since forever.

My specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k (bought in 2018)
  • GPU: RTX 3080 Gigabyte Gaming OC (bought in 2021)
  • Corsair 750W PSU (bought in 2020)
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus (bought in 2018)
  • RAM: 2x Kingston KHX3000c15D4 8GB
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 (bought in 2019)
  • HDD: Toshiba HDWD120 (bought in 2021)

I'm running out of ideas at this point. The only thing left that I can think of is that either the RAMs are busted (which I find rather unlikely, because why would the affect SSD's R/W speeds?) or the Motherboard, which might just be on it's way out because of age.
Sidenote: about a week ago, when I was playing Forza Horizon 5, it would suddenly crash and I'd get weird artifacts on the desktop. After a reboot it went away. It crashed maybe once again since then but no artifacts. I have cleaned the internals of my PC and since then for around a week there have been no issues at all. Could it be somehow connected?

Ralston18

Titan
Corsair 750W PSU (bought in 2020)? Bronze, Silver, Gold.... etc.? Modular?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that occur just before or at the times of the BSOD.

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

PSU is a likely suspect. Do you have any access to a known working PSU that you can swap in for testing?

Remember: use only the modular cables that come with the test PSU.

Oliie

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
Corsair 750W PSU (bought in 2020)? Bronze, Silver, Gold.... etc.? Modular?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that occur just before or at the times of the BSOD.

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

PSU is a likely suspect. Do you have any access to a known working PSU that you can swap in for testing?

Remember: use only the modular cables that come with the test PSU.

SOLUTION
I figured out what the problem was. It was in fact not a hardware problem, but a software one. For some reason, there was a major issue updating MS's Phone link app (or whatever it's name is). I had to completely remove it, which was difficult to do by normal means so I had to use Powershell to do that (found the command in Google). Next I had to reset the Windows Update (using a .bat I found on Google) and remove every temporary file that it had created (Software Distribution folder).

Then I enabled boot log in msconfig, and checked it after a reboot. I looked at the "BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED" entries. That meant that a driver was causing issues. In my case it was uim_im.sys which was an old Paragon software driver. I simply removed it as well as all the entries related to it in the Registry (just ctrl+f it and remove). Note, that I also had other drivers not loaded such as dxgkrnl but that was not causing the issue, in fact I don't think it's possible to fix that).

If you ask me I think it was the second thing that has actually fixed it, however both have improved my PC.