A Few General Questions

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
I get bored just perusing the forums, and I think of alot of stuff while I'm doing it. Sometimes, I think, "I should post some of this stuff and see what I get," So I'm gonna do that.

1.Are there any single-core processors in market within the last, oh, 10-15 years? I've seen dual cores, Athlon triple core processors, and even heard tale of the Xeon Phi 72 CORE supercomputer processors. But, never once have I seen a single-core processor. Do they exist? (and this is limited to 'current day', no old microchip processors with 8-bit architecture, eugh)

2. What's up with Celerons these days? Much like FX processors, they seem to have just stopped being viable. I had a pretty lengthy post with several inputs giving me the reasons of why FX stuff is still being used, but I've not seen tale of anything Celeron. I looked it up, and to my own personal surprise, they're still making Celerons. Albeit very weak budget ones. You can get a 'blazing fast business processor' for like 40 bucks, with all the whistles and bells of Celeron (which are none). I guess I'm just wondering if Celeron has ever been objectively 'good'.

3. Worst PC experience ever, preferably something funny. Even we at these hur forums have to have a laugh.

Thanks for being cool;

Some Fat Guy

Nr.1 Top 5 Single-Core Processors

Nr.3 It has to be in the mid 90:ies when I had a brand new Cyrix 686 on a motherboard with a staggering amount of memory 8MB!
I bought the motherboard, processor, memory and a 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics card and a Soundblaster 16 in USA, and some games also.
I came home to start assembling everything in an old 286 chassi (huge it was, i tell you).
So I felt happy and turned the power on: Ok. this was on my former work down in Stockholm (I live in Östersund) so the whole company, the whole building went dark.
What? It turned out to be a faulty light switch not my computer build.

Next try: I switched it on - and smoke was coming from everywhere.
What? It turned out to be at faulty American power cable, not suppose to be in Sweden...hehe.
Replaced it and third try: Nothing but a single little "pop". It was one of the capacitors in the power supply that went to the skies.
Replaced the PSU and after the forth attempt: I switched it on and it worked flawlessly.

Installed MS Dos 6.22 and my games.Additional I had also a 9600 BPS modem, during that time we hoked up on different BBS:services.
On top of that I was also running Xenix (a unix derivat) and shortly after i replaced with SCO Unix System V R4 and used its boot manager to boot to MS-Dos and later Windows 3.11

Unix was able to use all of the 8MB memory, while MS Dos 6.22 only could address 640 KB conventional memory and 64MB extended memory via DPMI and DOS Extender and himem.sys
Best regards from Sweden :lol:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the g440 celeron is still for sale at newegg, relatively new 1155 socket single core chip. sandy bridge.

the celerons are being transitioned to the pentium brand. or at least that is what I observe. the higher end products, i3 are being labeled as pentium chips now and sits squarely where the celeron was. yes there was a time long long ago when the vaunted celeron 333Mhz chip was the darling of the overclocking world, in some cases (with extreme cooling) doubling the speed. DOUBLE THE SPEED. imagine.

in computer school when the athlon passed 1Ghz, and we were working with the new chips. I thought I had the heatsink secured and turned it on, heard a pop and then bought the school a replacement CPU. first and only CPU to die at my hands.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

They sell LGA1151 "4th gen" Celerons for the current platform. Something, idnit? >.> I can't imagine going for anything less than a Pentium G4560, but for their price, I could see why others would.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

They sell LGA1151 "4th gen" Celerons for the current platform. Something, idnit? >.> I can't imagine going for anything less than a Pentium G4560, but for their price, I could see why others would.