Question A few problems with my newly built PC

Dec 16, 2020
So I finally built my first PC around 4-5 days ago, and I was super excited to finally be able to play games with overall higher graphics fidelity. But, as all things, nothing goes smoothly/as planned. I have a few problems/questions I would like some feedback on:

1. My main problem at the moment is my screen turning off when I load up a game/Alt-Tab. I have posted another thread of this going more in depth if you like like to take a better look.

2. The rest are more minor problems/questions & concerns. I have Windows 10 Pro installed with no key, but the "Activate Windows" does not always show up. Sometimes when I boot my computer it has it, sometimes it while before it shows up, or sometimes it doesn't show up at all. Is this bad? Should I be worried?

3. Every now and then, my audio begins to pop/crackle. This, as the "Activate Windows" problem, does not always happen/takes a while before it does. What can I do to fix this? I have tried updating and reinstalling my drivers but still no luck.

4. Just a question. My CPU spikes up 5-10 degrees almost all the time(While idle, minimal load, high load, etc.). Is this normal? Should I be worried about this? Can I fix this?

That's all I have so far and I will continue updating my progress if I do find anything/try something new but still doesn't fix any problems. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread, It really does mean a lot to me. I hope I can rely you for some help/feedback if you do have any.

Edit: Forgot to include my specs, here they are:

GTX 1070 OC (Aero ITX)
Ryzen 5 3600
G. Skill 2x8gb 3600mhz CL16
Gigabyte B550m DS3H
WD SN550 500gb NVMe
EVGA 600w 80+ bronze (got off of B-stock)
Windows 10

Last edited:
So I finally built my first PC around 4-5 days ago, and I was super excited to finally be able to play games with overall higher graphics fidelity. But, as all things, nothing goes smoothly/as planned. I have a few problems/questions I would like some feedback on:

1. My main problem at the moment is my screen turning off when I load up a game/Alt-Tab. I have posted another thread of this going more in depth if you like like to take a better look.

Start checking if the display cable is connected properly or use another cable.
Check if GPU is seated properly on the PCIe slot and the power cables are connected properly.
A PSU that does not provide reliable power to the GPU, could cause that issue.

2. The rest are more minor problems/questions & concerns. I have Windows 10 Pro installed with no key, but the "Activate Windows" does not always show up. Sometimes when I boot my computer it has it, sometimes it while before it shows up, or sometimes it doesn't show up at all. Is this bad? Should I be worried?
Activated or not, Windows 10 works the same way...if you got it from Microsoft website.
Which version of Windows 10 do you have installed?

3. Every now and then, my audio begins to pop/crackle. This, as the "Activate Windows" problem, does not always happen/takes a while before it does. What can I do to fix this? I have tried updating and reinstalling my drivers but still no luck.
Make sure to have the latest drivers for the Realtek HD Audio Driver.
Where are the speakers or headphone connected (front/back)?

4. Just a question. My CPU spikes up 5-10 degrees almost all the time(While idle, minimal load, high load, etc.). Is this normal? Should I be worried about this? Can I fix this?
That appears to be normal for Ryzen CPUs
Install the latest AM4 B550 Chipset drivers from AMD website to better handle those spikes and power management.

Dec 16, 2020
Start checking if the display cable is connected properly or use another cable.
Check if GPU is seated properly on the PCIe slot and the power cables are connected properly.
A PSU that does not provide reliable power to the GPU, could cause that issue.

Activated or not, Windows 10 works the same way...if you got it from Microsoft website.
Which version of Windows 10 do you have installed?

Make sure to have the latest drivers for the Realtek HD Audio Driver.
Where are the speakers or headphone connected (front/back)?

That appears to be normal for Ryzen CPUs
Install the latest AM4 B550 Chipset drivers from AMD website to better handle those spikes and power management.

1. I have tried 2 different HDMI cables, both of my HDMI ports on GPU, and now an adapter from DVI to HDMI, which is the most stable. I plan on trying to reconnect everything in my PC either tomorrow or Saturday and I will update in case anything does improve. I have heard that the PSU could be a problem, but I don't know what I should really look for in order to improve the VRel. If it is the PSU, I was thinking of getting a Corsair CX 750w.

2. I did get my Windows installation from the Microsoft website and I have Windows 10 Pro x64 installed. I was thinking maybe just reinstalling Windows or just resetting my PC could help because I have heard that it has helped others. (Edit: I also don't really have anything to lose on this PC if I do)

3. I have tried to find the most latest Realtek Drivers but I don't know which one to install. I have downloaded my audio drivers from my motherboard's manufacture website, but I want to try out installing it from Realtek themselves, but again, I don't know which one to install. I have tried connected my headset on both front and back, but no difference.

4. I have installed all of the latest drivers for my motherboard from the manufacturer's site, including the chipset drivers. Should I try installing them from AMD themselves(if they do have them)?

Dec 16, 2020
What's the display model?

The Gigabyte B550m DS3H has the Realtek ALC887 HD audio, so you could get the drivers form Gigabytes website.
Disable any enhancement from audio settings.

I suggest you download and install the latest AM4 B550 Chipset drivers from AMD website.

I don't know my monitors diplay model or name, all I know its an ASUS 1080p 60Hz monitor.

I have downloaded the AMD chipset drivers but have seen no change since.

I have downloaded my audio drivers from gigabyte's website already and disabled my any audio enhancements, still pops/crackles, but I forgot to mention that this only happens when some sort sound is playing (like youtube or my friends in discord), and doesn't happen when there is no sound. Edit: I will still install the audio drivers from gigabyte's website.

I don't know my monitors diplay model or name, all I know its an ASUS 1080p 60Hz monitor.
Just make sure that Windows display settings and Nvidia Control Panel have the resolution and refresh rate accurately.

I have downloaded the AMD chipset drivers but have seen no change since.
That's just to better control CPU power management.

I have downloaded my audio drivers from gigabyte's website already and disabled my any audio enhancements, still pops/crackles, but I forgot to mention that this only happens when some sort sound is playing (like youtube or my friends in discord), and doesn't happen when there is no sound. Edit: I will still install the audio drivers from gigabyte's website.
-Check if the sound issue happens accross all devices (speakers, headphone, etc.)
-Make sure the HD audio cable is connected securely to the motherboard.
-Also, see if disconnecting the PC case front audio cable from the motherboard resolves the sound issue.
-Make sure Speakers (Realtek) is selected as the default device.
-Try changing the audio quality on your output device, and see if that solves the problem.
To check your audio quality, right-click the speaker icon on the Taskbar area next to your clock and select “Playback Devices”. Double-click the default playback device (green checkmark), click the “Advanced” tab and use the Default Format box to select your sound quality level. Try setting your audio quality to “16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)”. Click “OK”
Under the Advanced tab play with “Exclusive Mode” and see if disabling “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option under “Exclusive Mode” helps with your problem.

Dec 16, 2020
Just make sure that Windows display settings and Nvidia Control Panel have the resolution and refresh rate accurately.

That's just to better control CPU power management.

-Check if the sound issue happens accross all devices (speakers, headphone, etc.)
-Make sure the HD audio cable is connected securely to the motherboard.
-Also, see if disconnecting the PC case front audio cable from the motherboard resolves the sound issue.
-Make sure Speakers (Realtek) is selected as the default device.
-Try changing the audio quality on your output device, and see if that solves the problem.
To check your audio quality, right-click the speaker icon on the Taskbar area next to your clock and select “Playback Devices”. Double-click the default playback device (green checkmark), click the “Advanced” tab and use the Default Format box to select your sound quality level. Try setting your audio quality to “16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)”. Click “OK”
Under the Advanced tab play with “Exclusive Mode” and see if disabling “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option under “Exclusive Mode” helps with your problem.

1. Made sure it was at 1080p 60hz.

2. I searched it up and lots of people said this was fine but I am still weary of this.

3. I reinstalled my audio drivers just now, no change(I might try it once more though). I have tried my current headphones, monitor speakers, and earphones and all had the pops/crackle. I have reduced my audio quality, still nothing. Again, once I try taking apart my PC either tomorrow or Saturday, I will make sure to reconnect my audio connection and then just remove it to see if it will help.