A few questions about drive clonning and raid configurations.

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Actually I have Windows 7 installed in a Western Digital 1TB drive. I ordered a Crucial 250 GB SSD drive which is on it's way along with a dock station that's supposed to be able to clone drives. My plans are to clone the WD drive into the Crucial to be able to boot from it. Do you think that will work? Will I be able to boot from the Crucial drive after cloning?

In two or three months I'll get a second Crucial drive and I plan to turn both drives into a single 500 GB SSD. The question is: will I be able to set them on raid with the operating system already installed into one of the drives? I would like some details about how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You may be able to clone if the HDD has less used space than the SSD. You can't clone if it is using more space than the capacity of the SSD. Generally it is better to do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD.

You can't expand the drive in future no. RAID erases the drives when they become part of a pool.

Mattios

Honorable
You may be able to clone if the HDD has less used space than the SSD. You can't clone if it is using more space than the capacity of the SSD. Generally it is better to do a fresh install of the OS onto the SSD.

You can't expand the drive in future no. RAID erases the drives when they become part of a pool.

Solution

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for your response! The 1 TB drive has only 98.4 GB of used space so I guess it can be cloned into the SSD drive.

If RAID erases the drives I guess that what can be done is:

1) format the 1 TB when I have both SSD to be paired in RAID (this is with the 1 TB drive previously cloned into the SSD drive of course and SSD already being used as boot drive)
2) clone the SSD back into the 1 TB drive (drives will not be equal after 2 to 3 months)
3) set both SSD drives in RAID
4) clone the 1 TB drive back into RAID SSD configuration
5) use 1 TB drive for files, install software, etc...

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

I forgot to type that, but I was aware of it. That pretty much answers all of my questions so I consider the thread closed. Thanks for your kindness!