Question A few questions about getting a gaming router.

Aug 11, 2019
I have a few questions. I’m looking at upgrading and I want to future proof and get .11ax, but should I stick with the established technology and get .11ac if gaming is top priority(low latency), if money isn’t an issue I mean. I’m looking at a 2 routers from net gear nighthawk, and 1 from Asus.

I know asus is more gaming oriented, but would nighthawk have the same kind of QoS setting in the firmware to allow certain applications/computers etc priority? Is the nighthawk line of routers good at low latency? Do the gaming feature Asus offer (gamefirst v- I don’t have other Asus devices, game boost, and private gamers network (I don’t want another monthly sub) make it a better contender?

I also hate that the only ax routers Asus offers are only 4x4. The nighthawk option has one with dual band (2.4 @ 4x4) and one option offers triband (5@4x4, 5@4x4, 2.4@4x4) everything I’ve read about Wifi 6/.11ax makes it seem like 8x8 is the best thing about it sense it gives a lot of upgrades to even older device(e.g. longer range, less latency) and a lot more MU-MIMO device connected at once.

Would it be stupid to get an ax router without 8x8 or am I getting this all wrong? Sorry for all the questions Wifi 6 is just very confusing with a lot of missing/contradicting info on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
First don't use WIFI if "gaming is top priority".

I would not recommend 11ax. It is still beta state at best.

More antennas in a single location doesn't improve WIFI in many situations. Multiple WIFI sources, with wired backbone, distributed throughout a location improves WIFI.

IMO, get multiple APs from a single provider and distribute them around the house.

Aug 11, 2019
that’s what i plan to do with my laptop and console(hardwire), sorry I didn’t make that clear. Everything I read said an 8x8 antenna allows for increased range, now i’m not expecting huge gains. A small amount of increased range on 5ghz would make wifi in my situation perfect. Seeing as i live in an apartment i thought I could finally have the “mythical” one router would cover the whole house for our iphones and ipads and such. 2.4 reaches everywhere but i was hoping 5ghz would get a little a little boost so it would be usable on the opposite side of the house. It’s just not, currently. So I’d be better off with a tri band or dual with 8x8? Answering your question on range if it doesn’t improve to a reasonable degree, either way i go, i plan on using moca. My apartment isn’t wired for ethernet and i couldn’t install it even if i wanted to because of the lease. which btw, I REALLY WANT TO AND HAVE BEGGED THE LANDLORD.

Last edited: