Question A few questions about overclocking RX 580 with Afterburner

ceponatia

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hey everyone, still experimenting with overclocking. Did a bit with the CPU successfully now I'm on to the GPU...

I watched a few tutorials to get the basic gist of how to use Afterburner as well as some specific guides for the 580 but it's not working out for me so far. I turned the core clock to 1500 and the memory to 2100 just to see if it would crash at that setting. Naturally it did but my readings in both Heaven and in Afterburner said that the core clock never went above 1405 (the default) and the memory never went about 2000. Am I doing something wrong? Why would Heaven be pushing my GPU to 90 degrees and crashing when it's running at factory settings? From what I've read nobody else has this issue. I also have the "fatboy" version of the card which is marketed to be overclocked right out of the box.

Another issue I ran into with my last crash (which is why I'm hesitant to continue without advice) is that my wifi card stopped working until I shut my PC completely down. It wasn't even detected in the device manager. I was worried that the exhaust from my GPU fans cooked it since the two cards are right next to each other but it's back to working fine now.

Third thought is maybe my PSU isn't good enough? It's a certified 600w EVGA. Don't remember the exact model. The GPU says 550w is recommended so maybe I'm just pulling too much power.

There are power and voltage limits in place. RX580s are already pushed to the max @ default settings (they're simply an OCd RX480), so in order to get a higher (or sometimes even stock) frequency you need to increase the power limit. Above that, you need to manually set voltages because they can be undervolted 50+mV from stock @ all performance states and run stable. That saves power, which for you, gives you more OC headroom before you hit that power limit again.

I like AMD WattMan better. (Set frequency to dynamic and voltage to manual) It's already running in your AMD driver software anyways. It also gives a memory timing increase which gave me an extra 5% FPS without affecting power/ voltage of the core.

This article is in need of an update, but it's still valid. Should explain things to help you out.