JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hello everyone.
I hope everyone is doing well in the times we're currently in.
Before the questions I'll post my computer specs and the games I play.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k (not overclocked)
GPU: Asus Strix 980ti (not overclocked)
RAM: 16GB 1333hz DDR3 (forgot the rest)
Monitor: Dell S2417DG 2450x1440 144hz Gsync Monitor.
I don't overclock them because I live in a very hot state, my room gets very hot and so does my computer, so both me and my computer suffer haha. So I leave them at base to keep the temperatures lower, even if by a few degrees.

As for the games I play;
Main game: Final Fantasy XIV. Being an MMO I get very different framerate depending where or what I am doing. Ranging from 40-144FPS.
Others: Warframe and Destiny 2, Framerate also varies but closer to 70-120FPS

As for my questions I was hoping I could get some answers; as some prior research has given me some information that I'm not sure if it's outdated.
1. If I have a 144hz monitor but cannot get to 144fps what does that really mean for my system and what I am actually seeing? Are there issues I will run into? Should I lower my in-game refresh rate or frame rate to match the consistent frame rate I get?

2. If I post a video/gif at 144hz to show something to a friend or someone online, will they notice the increased refresh rate/framerate on their 60hz monitors? Will it just convert it to 60hz because that is what their monitor outputs?

3. G-sync is basically the "better V-sync option" if I recall correctly, I vaguely know what V-sync is and that it is in regards to tearing in frames. Does G-sync also affect jittering and any forms of stuttering I'd run into while playing any games? Can someone explain or link an explanation to what Jittering is? I came across that term in my prior dive into google for some answers but not entirely sure if that is an issue I'm running into currently or not.

4. Does having 2 monitors affect the refresh rate if both monitors are not the same refresh rate/framerate? I have the monitor I listed above but my second monitor is a 1080p 60hz monitor. I read on a forum post somewhere bout 3 years old saying not to buy 144hz monitor if this is the case. Source

5. Ever since I moved to the state I am a few years ago, my monitor will cycle between RGBW colors when in sleep mode; is this some sort of setting or magical code of a damaged component? Turning off power saving mode makes this issue go away until the power surges or I unplug the monitor from the wall.

I had a sixth question but I forgot while writing the rest so if I remember it I will post it in another post.

As for the more specific concern; while playing Warframe I get around 110FPS based on both of my FPS counters, but to me it feels like my framerate is much lower than it is actually showing.
It feels like I'm not seeing certain frames, or like the animations are not as smooth as I'd expect at 110+ FPS. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the game itself (only game I notice it, but it's the only third-person game I play that is this fast paced) or if my computer is not set up correctly. I thought having G-sync on would solve all issues regarding changes in framerate.

Solution
Hello everyone.

I don't overclock them because I live in a very hot state, my room gets very hot and so does my computer, so both me and my computer suffer haha. So I leave them at base to keep the temperatures lower, even if by a few degrees.

As for the games I play;
Main game: Final Fantasy XIV. Being an MMO I get very different framerate depending where or what I am doing. Ranging from 40-144FPS.
Others: Warframe and Destiny 2...

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So an update regarding the last concern.
Apparently most of my issues were the specific game mode I was in, after talking to some other players of the game.
It's known to drop frames and make the game feel laggy.

larsv8

Distinguished
Hello everyone.

As for the games I play;
Others: Warframe and Destiny 2, Framerate also varies but closer to 70-120FPS

As for my questions I was hoping I could get some answers; as some prior research has given me some information that I'm not sure if it's outdated.
1. If I have a 144hz monitor but cannot get to 144fps what does that really mean for my system and what I am actually seeing? Are there issues I will run into? Should I lower my in-game refresh rate or frame rate to match the consistent frame rate I get?

2. If I post a video/gif at 144hz to show something to a friend or someone online, will they notice the increased refresh rate/framerate on their 60hz monitors? Will it just convert it to 60hz because that is what their monitor outputs?

3. G-sync is basically the "better V-sync option" if I recall correctly, I vaguely know what V-sync is and that it is in regards to tearing in frames. Does G-sync also affect jittering and any forms of stuttering I'd run into while playing any games? Can someone explain or link an explanation to what Jittering is? I came across that term in my prior dive into google for some answers but not entirely sure if that is an issue I'm running into currently or not.

4. Does having 2 monitors affect the refresh rate if both monitors are not the same refresh rate/framerate? I have the monitor I listed above but my second monitor is a 1080p 60hz monitor. I read on a forum post somewhere bout 3 years old saying not to buy 144hz monitor if this is the case. Source

5. Ever since I moved to the state I am a few years ago, my monitor will cycle between RGBW colors when in sleep mode; is this some sort of setting or magical code of a damaged component? Turning off power saving mode makes this issue go away until the power surges or I unplug the monitor from the wall.

I had a sixth question but I forgot while writing the rest so if I remember it I will post it in another post.

As for the more specific concern; while playing Warframe I get around 110FPS based on both of my FPS counters, but to me it feels like my framerate is much lower than it is actually showing.
It feels like I'm not seeing certain frames, or like the animations are not as smooth as I'd expect at 110+ FPS. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the game itself (only game I notice it, but it's the only third-person game I play that is this fast paced) or if my computer is not set up correctly. I thought having G-sync on would solve all issues regarding changes in framerate.

1.) Your monitor can handle up to 144 fps. No problems not acheiving max fps. No need to lower your in game refresh rate.
2.) They will see the gif / video maxxed out at what thier hardware can support. There isn't really a need to see video / gifs at high fps.
3.)https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...rate-displays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html
4.) I am not sure
5.) I am not sure

Solution

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
1.) Your monitor can handle up to 144 fps. No problems not acheiving max fps. No need to lower your in game refresh rate.
2.) They will see the gif / video maxxed out at what thier hardware can support. There isn't really a need to see video / gifs at high fps.
  1. alright, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some sort of obvious "ofc you should do X" regarding this.
  2. Was just curious because I sent a video to a friend of the game I mentioned under my questions to see if they noticed the game feeling lower frames.
Which they said it seemed fine to them but they have sub-60FPS systems.