A few Questions about security...

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Right now my PC is running good, I've been keeping up on updates and everything, but I want to keep modern, keep frosty in regards to newest threats. So my current focus is the new wave of ransomware right now I am using Avast and I newly installed COMODO's firewall. Now I locked down a few ports supposedly associated with WCry but I was curious on a few things:

1.) Some people here seem to favor Avira as the current best AV. Should I switch from Avast to Avira? Not having any problems with Avast but I like to keep current and Avira does have a few features I like and want badly.

2.) Does the free version of Crypto Prevent provide any protection against the newer ransomware? Or do I have to pay for the premium version? Which leads me to...

3.) Other then Crypto Prevent what other software can I use to further lockdown the system against newer ransomware?

4.) What are the ports and protocol WCry comes in on? I read a article that listed a few but I want to make sure it was all the ports and right ones.

PS: I love you Microsoft! Your KB4012212 update fixed my gameguard issue for Blade and Soul! WOOOT!

Solution
1. Avira, Avast, BitDefender, etc, etc....all are 'good'. There is no concept of "This one is the one and only, forever and ever!"
Whichever is 'best' this week may change next week.
I use BitDefender

2. The recent ransomware is defeated simply by the Windows update that was released 2 months ago.

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. The unasked question, or possibly part of #1....the best AV is that grey goo that exists between your ears.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Avira, Avast, BitDefender, etc, etc....all are 'good'. There is no concept of "This one is the one and only, forever and ever!"
Whichever is 'best' this week may change next week.
I use BitDefender

2. The recent ransomware is defeated simply by the Windows update that was released 2 months ago.

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. The unasked question, or possibly part of #1....the best AV is that grey goo that exists between your ears.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.