[SOLVED] A few questions about sleeved cables.

Flores Valdez

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Hello everyone!

I'm using an EVGA 750 GQ PSU
I have a case without any PSU shroud (Obsidian 750D)

1. What's it called when the cables are connected straight to the PSU, and when it isn't extensions
  2. Can I use Corsair or Thermaltake cables on my EVGA 750 GQ, from the PSU to the motherboard etc.?

Sorry if my english was bad... Have a good day :)

Solution
NO! you cant have different psu and cable (corsair,evga) the have different connectors and wont fit into each other.
Worse than that, different brands may use the same connectors (there is a finite number of MiniFitJr connector keying patterns) but have different pinouts. Mixing cables between brands or even between models of the same brands could lead to sending 12V into a 3.3V or 5V device, most likely destroying it and possibly whatever is connected to it.

Personally, I don't care about full vs partial vs non-modular. My cases have plenty of space behind the motherboard or under the last HDD at the bottom of the case to stuff any cables I don't need and I stuff unused modular cables there anyway so I don't have to worry about...
Feb 20, 2019
A "modular psu" has all the cables seperate from the psu. Meaning you can plug the cables you want and dont want. (Full freedom, recommended)

A "semi modular psu" has some of the cables pre installed for example the motherboard and cpu etc. The rest of not essential cables are seperate and you can plug them according to your needs. (Partial freedom, try to avoid)

A "non modular psu" has all of the cables pre installed. This is frustrating because many of them are useless. (No freedom, avoid)

You can only put custom cables in a modular psu

NO! you cant have different psu and cable (corsair,evga) the have different connectors and wont fit into each other.

Flores Valdez

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
A "modular psu" has all the cables seperate from the psu. Meaning you can plug the cables you want and dont want. (Full freedom, recommended)

A "semi modular psu" has some of the cables pre installed for example the motherboard and cpu etc. The rest of not essential cables are seperate and you can plug them according to your needs. (Partial freedom, try to avoid)

A "non modular psu" has all of the cables pre installed. This is frustrating because many of them are useless. (No freedom, avoid)

You can only put custom cables in a modular psu

Okay thanks, do you know if EVGA has made any sleeved cables or where I can find them?

InvalidError

Titan
Worse than that, different brands may use the same connectors (there is a finite number of MiniFitJr connector keying patterns) but have different pinouts. Mixing cables between brands or even between models of the same brands could lead to sending 12V into a 3.3V or 5V device, most likely destroying it and possibly whatever is connected to it.

Personally, I don't care about full vs partial vs non-modular. My cases have plenty of space behind the motherboard or under the last HDD at the bottom of the case to stuff any cables I don't need and I stuff unused modular cables there anyway so I don't have to worry about losing them, having to dig through my boxes of spare cables and possibly getting them mixed up.

Solution