Question A few questions about storage options

Bonstrigmo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
I just built my first PC for gaming and here is the PC Part Picker. These drives are just for gaming. I have just the one drive for now which is the 1tb 970 Evo plus has my OS, all programs and my games. If I got the same drive, I could set them up in raid 0 for better speeds and performance overall? These m.2 drives disable my seta ports? So I can only use 4 of the 6 then and if so which two are disabled? For the other drives, I was looking at getting two 2.5" SSD either the 860 Evo or 860 QVO? One of these better than the other? Also, are they coming out with 870 evo or even a evo plus in 2.5" factor?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
RAIDing SSDs is very, very rarely worth it for a performance boost. Most of the time, the additional overhead of RAID will actually slow down the drive(s) a little bit.

EVGA's spec sheet is pretty terrible, so cannot confirm if the M.2 slots disable SATA ports - but I wouldn't expect them to while using an NVMe drive.

The 860 EVO is the better drive - the QVO is a cutdown budget offering. While still a viable solution, it's performance/lifespan just doesn't measure up to the 860 EVO.

Will an 870 EVO come? Probably, in time. But I wouldn't sit & wait for it.

Bonstrigmo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
Thank you @Barty1884 for the reply. I'm waiting around right now for the 2tb 970 Evo Plus so I can get two of those while replacing the 1tb. 1tb won't go to waste will be going into GF's PC. With having the games on m.2 or SSD will they have a short lifespan because of gaming?