A few questions about the Windows 7 family pack

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have a couple quick questions for everyone regarding the Windows 7 Family Pack. Hopefully someone who has gotten it can answer my questions.

1. Do they give you three different WIndows 7 product keys, or just one that all three copies share?

2. Is there an activation limit for the family pack? Microsoft office always has the annoying limit of 3 activations, so I am curious if the same applies to the family pack.

If I ever wanted/ needed to reload the OS, would I be able to activate it? Vista and XP had unlimited activations, and I just wanted to make sure the family version will as well, or else I will get a regular version.

3. My copy of Vista Ultimate is an upgrade version I got in 2007 through my university and its software deal with Microsoft. Will Windows 7 accept an upgrade version of Vista as a genuine copy?

4. Can I install Windows 7 if there is no previous version of XP or Vista installed? Or would it make me install a previous version of Vista or XP first? When I got upgrade versions of XP Pro and later Vista Ultimate through my university, it never checked for a previous OS and let me install the OS to a blank drive.

I am no longer a student, since I graduated, so getting a student copy of Windows 7 is out of the question.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

If you don't have a previous qualifying product a cheaper option would be to get the OEM version, but be aware of te limitations, ie; can not be transfered to another computer and no MS support.

wutzup

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

I have used Acronis True Image to backup my activated windows Xp Pro in the past for many years. Never had a problem. Whenever I restore the image, XP would be activated, even when the destination was a different make and size hard drive in the same computer.

Yesterday, I used Acronis True Image 2010 to backup my activated Windows 7 Pro. The backup process was fast and was successful. When I restored the backup onto amother hard drive that was a diferent size and from another maker in the same computer, the restore went well. When I booted up, I saw a quick message telling me "installing device drive", when I checked the Control Panel/System, I saw that this copy was not activated and I had 3 days to activate this copy.
I even restored to a different hard drive that was the same make, same model number, and the same size, after the restore, I received the same messages and my copy was not activated.

Is it possible that MS made backing up an activated copy not possible anymore? I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have been using Acronis, Ghost, and others in the past years to backup activated Win XP with no restore activation problems. Any help would truly be appreciated. thanks.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"Is it possible that MS made backing up an activated copy not possible anymore?"
Could be, or could be a W7 compatability issue, which version of Acronis? I havn't tried restoring W7 retail version yet, I havn't even activated yet.
I did use the restore once on the W7 RC to make sure all was well and had no problem. I'm using ATI Home 2009.

wutzup

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Hi jonmor68: I used ATI 2009 and also ATI 2010, same result on both version.
Acronis 2010 is suppose to be Win 7 compatible.

I cannot believe Window 7 Pro's hardware change policies are that sensative. I am using the same make and model and same size hard drive on the same computer with no other hardware changes.

I am using a Genica Removable Mobile Media Hard Drive Rack so I can switch hard drives without opening my computer. Worked perfectly for me over all these years.

I read somewhere that MS claimed that they have improved on it and made it better than it was for XP and Vista. I never used Vista, but for XP, I never had a problem with backups and restores that kept the restored drive activated.