DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
System:
Ryzen 2600X (-0.1125v Core Offset & PBO = Enabled)
G.Skill FlareX 3200-CL14 16gb (2x8) (Running XMP Profile @ 3200mhz 14-14-14-34)
MSI Tomahawk B450

Ok...so, first I'll just say that I've owned many Intel based systems over the years and therefore I have become rather familiar and comfortable with the whole Intel undervolting process. But a few months back, I built my first Ryzen system (2600X) and I am completely new to some of the power/performance options I now have in my bios. From the research I've done on XFR and PBO I believe my system will benefit most from an undervolt (as opposed to Overclock). I've already gone ahead and pushed the CPU Core to a [-0.1125] offset and it seems to be stable after multiple stability/stress tests. Other than that, the only other bios setting that is currently altered is PBO = Enabled (from Auto).

After this offset was applied my max CPU Core voltage dropped significantly and the CPU no longer spikes to 1.45 - 1.47v. It also dropped about 5 -7 degrees off my temps while gaming. However, I am still concerned with the seemingly high voltages I'm still seeing in my SoC and CPU NB/SoC voltage readings in HWiNFO.

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I also set an offset on the CPU NB/SoC Voltage? If so, about how far should I push it?

(My current reading for SoC is 1.131 - 1.137v which seems absolutely insane to me! When I manually overclock DRAM and manually set VERY tight timings, I'm able to go as low as 1.0125v! And with a small increase up to only 1.0250v SoC, I'm able to push the DRAM clock to 3466mhz w/ tight timings! So, why on earth do the 'Auto' settings (both stock and XMP) set it all the way up to 1.13+?? Just seems unnecessary to me...

2) Does the SoC or NB/SoC voltage directly effect temperatures? I've experimented a bit with a CPU NB/SoC offset of anywhere from -0.025 to -0.075v but it's hard to tell if its having any effect. Sometimes my readings are 2 - 3 degrees cooler...sometimes they are 1 degree higher etc.

3) Is it even safe to adjust the SoC voltage? Please understand that this is my very first time using a Ryzen system and a lot of these terms are brand new to me.

4) What other bios settings noticeably impact the performance and/or temperatures of Ryzen chips?

Anyways....thanks in advance for any information or suggestions you may have for me. Im a total noob as far as AMD products and still learning the ropes. Thanks!

Last edited:

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
In my experience with ryzen 1700 those settings look decent my soc voltage was set manually to 1.125 but it can go lower just make sure everything is on manual when setting voltages and turn everything down until you get similar performance with the least possible voltage

Reactions: DUAL33s

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
In my experience with ryzen 1700 those settings look decent my soc voltage was set manually to 1.125 but it can go lower just make sure everything is on manual when setting voltages and turn everything down until you get similar performance with the least possible voltage
thanks for the response...but im not sure I understand what you mean? when you said "those settings look fine" are you referring to my -.025 to -.075 NB/SoC offset? Or the Auto settings? And when you say 'make sure everything is on auto' do you mean that if I am setting the CPU Core offset, then I should also set a NB/SoC offset? Or are you saying I should stop using offset altogether and set both CPU core and SoC manually? Sorry for being a pain in the butt lol thanks again for the response! \m/

System:
Ryzen 2600X (-0.1125v Core Offset & PBO = Enabled)
G.Skill FlareX 3200-CL14 16gb (2x8) (Running XMP Profile @ 3200mhz 14-14-14-34)
MSI Tomahawk B450

Ok...so, first I'll just say that I've owned many Intel based systems over the years and therefore I have become rather familiar and comfortable with the whole Intel undervolting process. But a few months back, I built my first Ryzen system (2600X) and I am completely new to some of the power/performance options I now have in my bios. From the research I've done on XFR and PBO I believe my system will benefit most from an undervolt (as opposed to Overclock). I've already gone ahead and pushed the CPU Core to a [-0.1125] offset and it seems to be stable after multiple stability/stress tests. Other than that, the only other bios setting that is currently altered is PBO = Enabled (from Auto).

After this offset was applied my max CPU Core voltage dropped significantly and the CPU no longer spikes to 1.45 - 1.47v. It also dropped about 5 -7 degrees off my temps while gaming. However, I am still concerned with the seemingly high voltages I'm still seeing in my SoC and CPU NB/SoC voltage readings in HWiNFO.

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I also set an offset on the CPU NB/SoC Voltage? If so, about how far should I push it?

(My current reading for SoC is 1.131 - 1.137v which seems absolutely insane to me! When I manually overclock DRAM and manually set VERY tight timings, I'm able to go as low as 1.0125v! And with a small increase up to only 1.0250v SoC, I'm able to push the DRAM clock to 3466mhz w/ tight timings! So, why on earth do the 'Auto' settings (both stock and XMP) set it all the way up to 1.13+?? Just seems unnecessary to me...

2) Does the SoC or NB/SoC voltage directly effect temperatures? I've experimented a bit with a CPU NB/SoC offset of anywhere from -0.025 to -0.075v but it's hard to tell if its having any effect. Sometimes my readings are 2 - 3 degrees cooler...sometimes they are 1 degree higher etc.

3) Is it even safe to adjust the SoC voltage? Please understand that this is my very first time using a Ryzen system and a lot of these terms are brand new to me.

4) What other bios settings noticeably impact the performance and/or temperatures of Ryzen chips?

Anyways....thanks in advance for any information or suggestions you may have for me. Im a total noob as far as AMD products and still learning the ropes. Thanks!

I think you hit on something about VSoC: it's often set high in default BIOS settings. Lowering often doesn't hurt stability.

VSoC current is definitely a contributor to CPU thermal input but it seems to be a minor one. The lowest voltage that retains stability is going to be the best over-all. At least that's the principle as I've never found it to help or hurt my CPU overclocks. But the one thing most everyone agrees on: long-term above 1.2V can be extremely detrimental to processor health.

But what I think you'll find as you explore your new processor more is VSoC has a greater influence on memory overclocking than CPU overclocking. Some people find that when pushing higher memory clocks, or tighter timings, increasing VSoC a few mV (or even lowering it) can bring about stability where before it was lacking.

Last edited:

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
thanks for the response...but im not sure I understand what you mean? when you said "those settings look fine" are you referring to my -.025 to -.075 NB/SoC offset? Or the Auto settings? And when you say 'make sure everything is on auto' do you mean that if I am setting the CPU Core offset, then I should also set a NB/SoC offset? Or are you saying I should stop using offset altogether and set both CPU core and SoC manually? Sorry for being a pain in the butt lol thanks again for the response! \m/
Yeah your offsets look fine just try go as far down as possible without a performance hit

An for the auto make sure everything is set manually auto likes its voltages made thst mistake with my 1700 left the voltage at auto at 4ghz it was hitting 1.55v on the core but once i maunally set it i got 4ghz at 1.375v