[SOLVED] A few questions regarding Liquid cooling vs CPU Cooling as well as PSU in my new PC.

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Good day folks,

I wasn't sure whether to ask these questions in a "Cooling" or "Power Supply" section. Didn't feel like spamming each section with a new thread, but since im more concerned bout the cooling then this should do it. I am hoping to get some answers as I'm not good with PCs / Components even after all the research I've done, so am hoping to get below questions answered and/or suggestions provided. Just need another pair of eyes to rely on, much appreciated! 🙏

I bought a new pre-built PC from Newegg - "MSI Gaming Desktop Aegis RS 13NUF-439US Intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700KF (3.40GHz) 32GB DDR5 2 TB PCIe SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Windows 11 Pro 64-bit" but I have not even turned it on yet for the first time as I was considering swapping cooler/psu with better options i e a Noctua CPU cooler since I have watched tons of vods and done a bunch of reading where quiet a bunch of people were talking bout Liquid cooling system failures and PSUs not being of known brands that could contribute to some serious pc component failures.

Aparently my cooler below is like a 4 out of 5 star rated cooler on amazon, obviously not a high end one as expected in pre builts, and some were saying that those were re-called by MSI due to failures found with pumps clogging etc (this might no longer be the case though, i dunno). I've never owed a liquid cooler, not a fan of them as I've always been skeptical/scared of em leaking out or failing in some other way nor do i have any clue if I'm supposed to be constantly maintaining them in one way or another i e refilling liquid etc, as oppose to non liquid coolers where you don't have to worry bout them for years. I replaced all my coolers with noctua once and have never had an issue. I know liqued are quieter and do a better job at cooling, but i dont care bout it being quiet, i care bout minimizing the effort of oppenning the case and doing anything to it to make sure its operating fine cause these days non liquid coolers do the same job if not better as some vods said i e "Linus Tech Tips", the noise seems to be the only concern, but at least i dont have to do anything to non liquid cooler besides doing the usual dusting, so ya, im just not sure if anyone could advise if the below cooler and PSU should do the job since im hoping they tested this build prior releasing it to sales or if i should indeed worry.

Problem is the case spacing. There isnt much space (see screenshot below). I wanted to get a Noctua NH-U12A or NH-D15 in there for CPU cooler, but looks like neither would fit and the best option I have is to either get tiny NH-U9S that im pretty sure wouldn't be able to keep up with an i7 13700KF like it did with my previous i7 9700K, its an amazing cooler, but not powerful enough for the newer chip i guess, or I should just blindly trust the new pre-build I got and start using it the way it is 🤷‍♀️

Same goes for PSU, some said High Power is not a famous brand (even though there were apparently formaly knows as Sirfa/Sirtec). and should avoid using that one expecially for an RTX 4070 TI where as some others said not to worry and that they can be trusted, saying that companies were supposed to do all the necessery power consumption/compatability tests prior releasing this build and that I could go ahead and use the pc out of the box, but im still not sure.

Last thing I want is it working for 5 months and then either a leak happens or anything else fails PSU or cooler wise and it damages my pc to a point where it would be non functional at all, so just wondering what others think and if i should be ok just using the build the way it is or indeed swap PSU and Cooler with something else?

Looks like I got this NON MODULAR PSU - High Power 750W 80 Gold - model HP1-J750GD-F12S - http://www.highpower-tech.com/Globa...lass=20200723162025&id=20200807174555#product

Looks like I got this Liquid Cooler MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 -

Looks like I got this RAM ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10 -

IMG-4351.jpg

Just a side note I did already buy a CORSAIR RMX Series™ RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply to replace the current one with, but if majority really think this build is ok to use out of the box then maybe i'll just return that PSU. I know its better, but if i could save up $$$ that d be great, so ya, that said if this build is ok to use then i wonder if somone could advise if i have to do anything with the liquid cooler or if i can just forget about it and it should work for 2-3 years before i have to maybe change liquid or i dont even know what lese need to be done with it etc?

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

As you've mentioned, the Highpower PSU isn't up to much. It's cheap online, and has a one year warranty. That in of itself is very revealing. I'd be swapping that out ASAP. The Corsair RMx850w is a really good choice. Well done on selecting something which is very good.

On the cooling. I wouldn't change it up. A good AIO is as good as the top end air coolers (some people will argue differently). So with that said, and also the aesthetics of the system, I'd be keeping with the AIO. AIO's typically last about 5 years. As long as the CPU is at or below 80c when running a bench like Cinebench R23 Multi. If your within that range, just leave be. It's not worth the expense of buying a Noctua (which are damned good anyway)

BTW...
Hey there,

As you've mentioned, the Highpower PSU isn't up to much. It's cheap online, and has a one year warranty. That in of itself is very revealing. I'd be swapping that out ASAP. The Corsair RMx850w is a really good choice. Well done on selecting something which is very good.

On the cooling. I wouldn't change it up. A good AIO is as good as the top end air coolers (some people will argue differently). So with that said, and also the aesthetics of the system, I'd be keeping with the AIO. AIO's typically last about 5 years. As long as the CPU is at or below 80c when running a bench like Cinebench R23 Multi. If your within that range, just leave be. It's not worth the expense of buying a Noctua (which are damned good anyway)

BTW: Some nice gaming chops there. What monitor are you using, and res?

edit: Sorry, i forgot about your concerns with the MAG. There was an issue about a year ago, where some of them failed or had issues with sediment. Give it's been a year, and you've only purchased the system now, then your cooler should be the fixed version.

Last edited:
Reactions: fragment0
Solution

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hey there,

As you've mentioned, the Highpower PSU isn't up to much. It's cheap online, and has a one year warranty. That in of itself is very revealing. I'd be swapping that out ASAP. The Corsair 858 RMX is a really good choice. Well done on selecting something which is very good.

Hi, thanks for a quick reply. So, I guess even though some were saying that there could be pump clogging issues with that exact model I got and that MSI had apparently recalled them back from salres, I guess I could still give it chance then? I understand you never know eh, I might be one of those unlucky once, but I guess I'll keep it then if it should really do the job.

Im just paranoid with liquid leaking out on all of my pc components and then i'd end up paying a fortune to fix the pc or there might be some other failure with it that i wouldn't have had otherwise if i had a non-liquid on, but i guess its a chance.

Side question though, do I need to do anything with that liquid cooler or i can forget bout it for a couple of years? Do i have to buy some liquid and learn how to change it every so often?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Are you guessing the Noctua U12 cooler won't fit..........or not guessing?

Maybe you can dig out the maximum cooler height for that case?

Do you describe yourself as highly concerned about temps? Difference between the U12 and U9S likely under 10 degrees.

Worst case scenario, the CPU throttles temporarily. Unacceptable? That CPU will drive itself toward max clocks by default regardless of your cooler.

I wouldn't have qualms about a U9S on a 13700K, but if you would lay awake at night thinking about it, then OK.

When new parts will fail (excluding CPU) is pretty much speculation. At noon tomorrow or at noon 10 years from now. One concern is the time and expense to change. Your anxiety level is at the other end of the balance beam. You get to suit yourself.

You could try to pacify yourself by reading reviews of that power supply and that liquid cooler. That might only raise your uncertainty and anxiety.

If they fail within weeks or months, how disastrous would that be? I'd guess most would say take the chance and deal with issues if and when they arise....rather than worry in advance.

Hi, thanks for a quick reply. So, I guess even though some were saying that there could be pump clogging issues with that exact model I got and that MSI had apparently recalled them back from salres, I guess I could still give it chance then? I understand you never know eh, I might be one of those unlucky once, but I guess I'll keep it then if it should really do the job.
Apologies. See my edit in last post.

Im just paranoid with liquid leaking out on all of my pc components and then i'd end up paying a fortune to fix the pc or there might be some other failure with it that i wouldn't have had otherwise if i had a non-liquid on,
I had this same concern as I only went with AIO for the first time on my current build. Now, I'm a believer :)

Side question though, do I need to do anything with that liquid cooler or i can forget bout it for a couple of years? Do i have to buy some liquid and learn how to change it every so often?
No, nothing at all. Turn the PC on, and away you go. Decent AIO's will last up to 5 years and should not cause issue. Even when the unit get's clogged, you will just notice higher temps. So that can be your guide. So, if you're around the 4-5 year mark, it would be the right time to swap out, or if changing thermal paste.

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Apologies. See my edit in last post.

I had this same concern as I only went with AIO for the first time on my current build. Now, I'm a believer :)

No, nothing at all. Turn the PC on, and away you go. Decent AIO's will last up to 5 years and should not cause issue. Even when the unit get's clogged, you will just notice higher temps. So that can be your guide. So, if you're around the 4-5 year mark, it would be the right time to swap out, or if changing thermal paste.

My monitor is a "Dell Alienware AW2721D (2560x1440) 240hz"

As for the cooler, gotcha, so I guess I can treat it as a non-liquid cooler then and let it be without worrying bout liquid evaporating and needing a refill or anything along those lines for a few years, and only if I see a sudden increase in temps from what I'd see now to what they'd be 2-3 years from now and only start to worry then...

I guess all in all from what I understood the only thing I should do then is just swap the current PSU and leave all else as is. Im also sceptical bout that RAM though "ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10 -" but i think its ok for starters, I'll see how it goes and take it from there....

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Are you guessing the Noctua U12 cooler won't fit..........or not guessing?

Maybe you can dig out the maximum cooler height for that case?

Do you describe yourself as highly concerned about temps? Difference between the U12 and U9S likely under 10 degrees.

Worst case scenario, the CPU throttles temporarily. Unacceptable? That CPU will drive itself toward max clocks by default regardless of your cooler.

I wouldn't have qualms about a U9S on a 13700K, but if you would lay awake at night thinking about it, then OK.

When new parts will fail (excluding CPU) is pretty much speculation. At noon tomorrow or at noon 10 years from now. One concern is the time and expense to change. Your anxiety level is at the other end of the balance beam. You get to suit yourself.

You could try to pacify yourself by reading reviews of that power supply and that liquid cooler. That might only raise your uncertainty and anxiety.

If they fail within weeks or months, how disastrous would that be? I'd guess most would say take the chance and deal with issues if and when they arise....rather than worry in advance.

Hey, that's well said actually, ya. Should probably wait and see how it goes and worry bout it only if there would be anything to worry bout :)

As for the CPU Cooler, ya, i've been mesuaring all morning. Looks like the height of those good Noctua's I want is 18.5 cm and that would pretty much be touching the side of the case, its etiher gonna be close or be touching the side of the case/tempered glass. The U9S is what i used in my i7 9700k and it did an amazing job and i know that one would fit my current case, but just doubt would be enough to cool off 13700KF chip, don't know. But I guess I could still try it and help it by changing all cases defaul fans that pc came with with noctua once, that might help a bit more down the road, ill see. I might still try U12 and return it if it doesn't fit, but since I was just advised that i should be fine with the liquid cooler I got, I might as well leave it all as is then :)

I guess you spent about 2500 on that PC.

There's something to be said about having spare parts on hand to swap in if need be.

If you don't have a spare good PSU now, I'd at least consider keeping that Corsair on hand.

I assume you have a U9S on hand now. If push comes to shove, you could likewise use it if the liquid cooler quits on you. I've got one myself. It is still the best cooler I can find at anything near that height (125 mm I think).

If you decide to go with a new Noctua, consider the D12L; dual tower but only 145 mm tall; at least a half inch shorter than U12.

Noctua rates it as slightly better than the U12 by their own rating system.

As for the cooler, gotcha, so I guess I can treat it as a non-liquid cooler then and let it be without worrying bout liquid evaporating and needing a refill or anything along those lines for a few years, and only if I see a sudden increase in temps from what I'd see now to what they'd be 2-3 years from now and only start to worry then...

Yes, precisely.

I guess all in all from what I understood the only thing I should do then is just swap the current PSU and leave all else as is. Im also sceptical bout that RAM though "ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10 -" but i think its ok for starters, I'll see how it goes and take it from there....

Yes, IMO.

Last edited:
Im also sceptical bout that RAM though "ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 4800Mhz CL40 1.1V AX5U4800C408G-BB10 -" but i think its ok for starters, I'll see how it goes and take it from there....

Yes, that's a good idea. I guess the speed of the ram is on the lower end (as ridiculous as that sounds ). But you can upgrade that later when finances allow.