[SOLVED] A few questions regarding security

Status
Not open for further replies.

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
i know nothing of macs. a friend of mine uses macs and asked me if this article carries any weight
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/03/10/ispy-cia-campaign-steal-apples-secrets/

also, he had a not-so-clean version of what i believe to be osx 10.10. he saw inconsistencies in xcode and was bothered by it. i'm willing to upload the logs, as long as someone is interested. so far i believe it to be pish-posh, but i leave the final thoughts to you mac gods. thank you for your time.

Solution
That's an article about iOS rather than OS X. It wouldn't surprise me if the CIA are actively trying to break encryption on iOS devices (it would surprise me if they weren't).

And since you imply that your friend's copy of OS X is pirated, it could contain any backdoors, traps, malware whatever. And, at that point, my interest in the question ceases.

McHenryB

Admirable
That's an article about iOS rather than OS X. It wouldn't surprise me if the CIA are actively trying to break encryption on iOS devices (it would surprise me if they weren't).

And since you imply that your friend's copy of OS X is pirated, it could contain any backdoors, traps, malware whatever. And, at that point, my interest in the question ceases.

Solution

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

i figured as much. i'll keep you posted on the piracy. if it isn't i'll post the logs. thank you for your time.

MacTech

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Despite what anyone claims it's my belief they already own us all. Read the articles by many reporters on what Snowden released. Many of the articles reference the techniques and methods used.

Let's take one simple example. The Do Not Call list. They ask for your name, email and phone number. Compromising that database would be a rich source of intelligence. In fact you wouldn't need to compromise it. All you would need to do is tell them you are a business and would like a copy of the database so you can avoid calling people who don't want to be called and they would give it to you (or sell it). Telemarketers use the list to flag numbers they have so they know not to call them. No laws broken there right?

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

so it's compromised one way or another? if it's pirated or not? would you see the same type of processes in a regular/legal version of mac software?

MacTech

Reputable
May 23, 2014
It could be compromised and for most of us discussing pirated software is a 'no go'. We don't support that since it's so inexpensive to buy the retail CD and even if it weren't inexpensive people should pay for software. So if your questions have been answered can you mark it as solved and credit the person who solved your issue so we can close the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.