A few questions

Apr 24, 2019
Ok so I've had this laptop for 8 months now, but I'm still paranoid about some issues.

Laptop specs:
  • ROG Strix 503GE
  • Intel I5-8300H 2.3 GHz
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti
  • Intel HD Graphics 630
  • 8 Gb RAM (I believe DDR4)
  • Seagate Firecuda 1 TB SSHD
  • Windows 10 - 64 bit

First of all is this scratchy (or kinda screechy) noise. What the heck is it? If I'm playing a game then the sound is completely nonexistent, if the laptop isn't plugged into the charger then the sound is barely hearable, but is the most prominent when I'm moving my mouse or when the laptop is under some load, but not game levels of load. This is an example though you have to really turn up your sound to hear it
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Qq4d7Z27g&list=UU9h_EfGgkATT_62IekKXGNw&index=1

Secondly, my CPU is pretty much always at 90 C if I'm playing any game that makes me drop below 60 fps (the temperature does instantly drop if I tab out so the cooling is working fine). Something like LoL only goes up to 87 degrees on the hottest CPU core. Unless a game is really intensive on the GPU then the GPU might reach 90 C (which seems like the throttle for CPU and GPU temps) but like 80% of the time it's on 50-76 C while gaming. Is the constant CPU 90 celsius really normal even for a budget gaming laptop?

Also why the hell does Windows not let me install touchpad drivers no matter what. It always stops and cancels installation just before finishing and just says "Drivers couldn't be installed" or something similar.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Mechanical drives make noise sometimes, just make sure you have backup to any important data.

I would clean off whatever thermal compound they used and apply something I know is high quality such as thermal grizzly kryonaut.

Have you gone to manufacturers website to download drivers?

Apr 24, 2019
Mechanical drives make noise sometimes, just make sure you have backup to any important data.

I would clean off whatever thermal compound they used and apply something I know is high quality such as thermal grizzly kryonaut.

Have you gone to manufacturers website to download drivers?
Yes, I've downloaded all the drivers for this specific laptop from the asus website. This laptop came in completely empty so I had to install OS and all drivers from scratch. For the touchpad I have tried also other developer drivers, but it won't install any of them.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
There are two touchpad drivers for ASUS ROG Strix 503GE under pointing device. Both are listed as driver version 11.0.25, have you tried both? I would assume that the one dated 2018/08/29 would be the accurate one. But maybe the one dated 2018/03/19 would be the one that works for you?

Have you already tried installing both of them or just the newest one?

Apr 24, 2019
Just tried the older one but it didn't work and just threw the same error. Actually they have different dates but are the same version so idk.