Question A few tech questions on DDR5 for my new Intel-based build

PiffPuff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2021
Hi guys,

could you please kindly comment on the following:
  1. Which DDR5 RAM chip is better (in general and for XMP/overclocking) - Hynix M-Die or Samsung B-Die?
  2. I've heard that "higher speed RAM with good timings should outperform slower RAM with tighter timings" and "on Intel-based builds - improve RAM timings if you mostly game (i.e., frequent tasks, but light in data), and improve clocks if your tasks are data-heavy". Do you agree that if games/office work are my main use scenarios I'd better track special offers on DIMMs with tighter timings, rather than higher frequence? [where DDR5-6000 CL40 will be kinda "golden mean"]
  3. I've also heard that with Intel (as opposed to AMD) no Memory Training is needed for DDR4/DDR5 to start working on spec-defined (!) clocks. I was surprised that smth. written on the box doesn't work out-of-the-box in AMD builds, but do I need to do something extra with my DDR5 DIMMs so that they start working at the speed I paid for (e.g., 6000), or become ready for o/c via XMP profiles?
  4. Last rumor I've heard is that "Intel's default configuration is Gear 2". Do I need to change settings in BIOS to activate Gear 1?
Thank you!

PiffPuff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2021
OK, guys, so here are some clarifications you've mentioned:

Scenario - mostly gaming. Just occasional multi-thread tasks like video converting
Components - B760 motherboard + 13700 (non-K!) CPU + 32Gb RAM

However, my questions are obviously not scenario-specific, but rather about the principles themselves, no? I've also mentioned that gaming is my goal in Q#2. ;)

PiffPuff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2021
On a first level, get the quantity of ram that you need in dual channel form.
@geofelt Thank you! For the dual-channel, may I ask you to kindly clarify smth:

I know that for dual-channel mode to be active DIMMs must be distributed across both channels (A and B): 1st DIMM in slot A2, 2nd in slot B2 (3rd in slot A1, 4th in slot B1). I need 32Gb in total, so I will plug 2 DIMMs (16Gb each) to slots A2 and B2. However, I've heard that if only 2 slots are occupied (this is exactly my case), DIMMs must be dual-rank (2R), not single-rank (1R) - for fastest memory refresh cycles, which is especially good for CPU-intensive apps.

If the above is correct, I should buy 2x16Gb DDR5 dual-rank DIMMs, right?

Thank you!