[SOLVED] A few windows updates later, my microphone is SUPER quiet

Themurloc

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
So i have a BOYA BY-M1 Lav mic I use for streaming on twitch. When i got it and set it up initially, it was PERFECT! little background noise, clear voice, etc. This is a clip of when it was working:
View: https://clips.twitch.tv/FantasticDepressedAubergineStrawBeary

Then i had to take a break for a couple weeks, and during that time there may have been a couple windows updates, which I suspect to be the culprits of my problem, and now it sounds like this with no changes done by my hand to any settings:
View: https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedPlausibleCroissantStoneLightning
the audio is so faint you might need to turn your computer volume up all the way to hear it.
anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
For your own sake:
In windows update unmark the automatic reboot after update feature.
Take control on the update activity.
Its your PC, not Microsofts.
Otherwise you will constantly end up in this mysterious scenario, "what just happened to my PC ?"

I cant recommend on your specific problem.
My best bet is, that you have to walk through all sound settings, as somewhere something has been reset to a "safe" condition.
Even when Microsoft promises, that all personal settings are restored on updates, it does not quite work yet in reality.

I really fancy the automatic update feature, as this ensures you are updated on bugs and new features, but I do want to have an eye on whats going on.
Sometimes it will hint you on what to expect.

Themurloc

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I already have it set to not automatically reboot, I only know know there were updates cuz I rebooted my computer myself a few times during that break. I don't even know for sure if they are the cause of my problems, though they are my first suspect since I don't know what else it would be since I didnt touch any settings

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
- OR -
Coincidentally your microphone decided to reach EOL and went off-life.
Common issue with electret microphones used for speech.

The microphone capsule itself may be replaced if you want a try.
They are sold on Ebay and Ali for less than $1 a piece.

Reactions: Themurloc

Themurloc

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
so since im not very hardware savvy, which part is the capsule? is it that little circular battery that i needed to insert when i got it? If not, it might not be viable to get it changed since it's such a small microphone

It would be strange if it's already reached EOL since its only been less than a month

Last edited:

Themurloc

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I think you're right, after fiddling with it a bit, i took it out and put it back in again, and it started producing the sweet sound again. I'm sure it's due for a battery replacement, and lesson learned to turn the mic off when im not using it. :sweatsmile: