A file will not delete

10Exahertz

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
I was finally able to get the file to recycle by cancelling the dllhost.exe several times. However, now I want this file to be gone for good, and it will not delete, gets stuck on "Discovering items" I tried using command prompt "rd /s %systemdrive%\$Recycle.bin" and it didnt delete it.
thanks

Solution
This usually happens if you are not the owner, the rights have been set to disallow delete, and/or it is currently in use by Windows or an active process.

Viruses and spyware/malware usually use these tactics and will run and lock their files on startup.

Try deleting it in safe mode, adjusting rights/ownership as needed.

If you cannot identify the specific file because it runs as a generic dllhost process, RUN MSCONFIG and check your startup programs/processes and files for suspicious software. You can stop them from running at startup without deleting the file if you are unsure about deleting it at first.
This usually happens if you are not the owner, the rights have been set to disallow delete, and/or it is currently in use by Windows or an active process.

Viruses and spyware/malware usually use these tactics and will run and lock their files on startup.

Try deleting it in safe mode, adjusting rights/ownership as needed.

If you cannot identify the specific file because it runs as a generic dllhost process, RUN MSCONFIG and check your startup programs/processes and files for suspicious software. You can stop them from running at startup without deleting the file if you are unsure about deleting it at first.

Solution