Question A flash of light on motherboard while changing the ssd

Apr 9, 2022
Hey guys. I did a really dumb thing, cause I wasn't thinking. I haven't removed the battery before changing the ssd on my laptop. There weren't any sparks, but I did see a flash of light which lasted for about a second near the right corner where the DC connector is. My laptop boots and works fine, there are no signs of damage just yet. Is it possible that something is damaged, tho - so that I can expect a delayed motherboard failure at some point? Or perhaps how possible is it that something is damaged? Thank you all in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

Relevant only in that some products are more durable than others.....

The laptop could be fine.

Or there may have been some partial damage that is allowing the laptop to function normally but may cause some failure in the future due to some power related problem.

One rule is to always expect a failure. That is why there is so much emphasis on maintaining backups.

Be sure to regularly back up all important data, which should be being done per SOPs anyway, and hope for the best.

And, hopefully, you do have the option to take the laptop somewhere to be inspected and tested if still concerned.

Reactions: shelfrighteous
Apr 9, 2022
The laptop is HP Elitebook 745 G6 :/ Would you consider it a more or less durable option?
I will definitely do the backup. It works flawlessly right now, I just hope it'll last for long enough for me to save money and get a new one before dying on me, cause I need it for work and I have no other option, really. That's why I'm asking these questions, thank you for answering and giving me your opinions.