[SOLVED] A flick sound and a little smoke when trying to post. What did I damage?

Jan 15, 2019
This is my first PC build, so pardon me if I misuse certain terminology.

My specs:
Case: Define R6 Blackout TG
MoBo: ASRock Z390 Pro4
CPU: Intel i7-9700K
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Liquid Cooler: MasterLiquid ML240R RGB
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
HDD: Toshiba P300 3 TB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB

Configuration:
So I had everything set up to the best of my knowledge. (The manuals weren't great, at least for a beginner.) I have the three case fans connected to the case's built-in fan splitter on the back (the 3-pin plugs FAN4, FAN5, and FAN6). The fan splitter is connected to CPU_FAN1 on my MoBo, and my pump is connected to PWM_CFG1, although the connector seems like it's supposed to go into a certain type of fitted socket. PWM_CFG1 just has three pins and no special fit. Even if it is in the right slot, it could be upside down. Lastly, my radiator fans are connected to FAN1 (the 4-pin plugs on the fan splitter on the back of the case).

Situation:
So everything seemed to be working when I first booted, and I was in the BIOS, except the liquid cooler's pump its two fans weren't going. Their RGB worked though, although that's a completely separate connection.
I noticed that the fan splitter had a tag that said PWM Cable on it, so I decided to test out a different configuration (as opposed to just coming here first unfortunately). I tried switching the pump with the fan splitter so that the pump was in CPU_FAN1 and the fan splitter was in PWM_CFG1. I pressed the power button, and then there was a flick sound followed by smoke. I tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't, so I took out the power chord. I switched the two plugs back to how they were originally configured and tried to boot it on. I no longer get a display, one of my RAM's RGB doesn't turn on (A2 slot), and I can't turn off the PC by pressing the power button, unless I hold it. I can't tell if the CPU or SSD are damaged, since they don't have RGB or anything, and I also can't tell if the pump or the radiator fans were damaged, since they weren't working to begin with.
My best guess (from very little knowledge) is that I damaged the motherboard, which caused the power pins and A2 RAM slot to not work. I don't know if that's true or if I damaged anything else.

Question:
What configuration was I supposed to use, what have I damaged, and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Solution
PWM_CFG1 is what the factory uses to program the motherboard PWM fan settings.

I would suggest reading the motherboard manual when you need to connect something. Customer Induced Damage is not covered by warranty.
Jan 15, 2019

Thanks, I'll do that.

Is there anything that I could have damaged other than the motherboard that I might need to replace? For instance, is it possible I damaged the RAM in A2? The fans and pump? The PSU? Or any of the connectors themselves? Or do I just have to wait and see with the new motherboard?

Jan 15, 2019

Thanks, I definitely should have spent more time consulting the manual in retrospect.

How do you suppose I was supposed to connect the pump and the fans anyway, just for future reference?