A Gaming Case

nerdpunekar

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hello

I'm building my first gaming pc and have pretty much everything fixed and just need to get my case decided. The problem I'm having is that its been a fricking week and I still cant decide. If I had an infinite budget (I don't), what cases would you recommend if all I'm looking for functionality and no style. Uber cooling and space and all that.

Here's the build I'm working on (the non selected items are what I already own)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t9z2KZ

Thanks

Solution
The clear is a great case, no question, but it is not for everybody due to being a reverse configuration AND having a top mounted PSU. There is a reason why PC case form factors and manufacturers moved away from top mounted power supplies in the past. It screws up the normal convection current where cool air moves down forcing heated air up.

It is a misnomer that heat rises. Heat does not "rise" on it's own. It is moved upwards by cooler, denser air moving down due to the stack effect.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/50616/Heat-Rises-and-Falls-Stack-Effect-Air-Movement-Heat-Flow

Probably overkill for your purposes but a good read anyhow. It very much is relevant to PC cooling and I'm not sure why they went back to this...
Full or mid tower?

Off the top of my head, one of the absolute best choices is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Enthoo Pro M. Those cases have practically every feature you could ever ask for in a PC case but are not particularly "flashy". Nice to look at, but clearly not biased towards looks only.

The Fractal Design Define R5 and R6 are exceptional, whether with or without a side panel window, which are also available in acrylic or tempered glass. Again, not flashy, but excellent cases with all imagineable features.

The Define S and Define C cases are also very good choices.

Typically most, but not all, cases made by Phanteks, NZXT, Fractal design and BeQuiet are of excellent quality and design. Corsair, Cooler master, Rosewill and Enermax also make some good cases, but you need to be a bit more selective when it comes to which models you choose from them as they also have some pretty terrible ones as well.

You'll have to be further selective due to your CPU cooler choice, as the D15 is a very tall cooler and a lot of cases won't support it's height.

nerdpunekar

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018

A little biased towards full towers cause I'm definitely going to need the space in the future. Enthoo Pro vs Define C. What would you choose? And I'm definitely going to look into the fan. Maybe even get liquid cooling. Other than these what other full towers would you suggest?

I would choose Enthoo Pro over Define C, every time, unless I didn't need the extra room OR was planning to use water cooling. Even for water cooling, might be a tossup since the Enthoo pro supports that as well. Otherwise, for "functional" reasons, the Enthoo Pro. For aesthetics, there is a lot more can be done with the Define C.

Further, if you need an internal 5.25 bay for optical drives, then that choice is already made for you since the Define S and C both lack an internal optical drive bay.

+2 on Phanteks Evolve ATX. I really like that case and nearly went with that instead of my Define S. All Phanteks cases have good features and quality for the price I think. I've built several systems in the Enthoo Pro, and it's a dream to work in. This is not a full tower case however, so it will not have nearly the room if that is a critical factor. Certainly it's a very nice case though if maximum room is not needed. If they made a full tower version of the Evolv, I'd buy it without any doubt.

Corsair has several full tower cases that are worth looking at, and I say that despite not being a huge Corsair fan (No pun intended) when it comes to most things, and the quality of their higher end cases is usually pretty good. Their cheap stuff, sucks.

If you could offer a firm budget you are willing to go to, and a list of what features you NEED it to have, plus any considerations you'd LIKE it to have, but don't necessarily break the deal without having, that would make it a lot easier to offer a couple of solid choices. Certainly you can't go wrong with the Enthoo Pro, Enthoo Luxe, Enthoo Primo, Corsair 750D, 750D airflow edition, Air 740, Carbide clear 600C (Reverse/upside down configuration), Fractal Design Define XL r2 (Window panels ARE available for this case, but cost extra, about 30 bucks through Puget systems), NZXT H630 (Really like this case too), Phantom 630 and Rosewill Thor v2, which are all good cases, all full towers and all have their plus and minus aspects. Well, there's a couple in there that you'd be hard pressed to find any negatives on, but you know what I mean.

Here is mine in a Cooler Master - Master Case 5 Pro, my specs in sig, plenty of room, large case for a mid tower, great airflow.

DSC_60391.JPG

Go away Jank. Your "puny" mid tower recommendations are not wanted here.

Ok, just kidding. That's a decent enough case too, but I suspect that it lacks the desired space this guy is wanting.

I suppose the new Cooler Master Cosmos C700p is also an option, but honestly I'm not a big fan of Cooler Master cases in general, and especially not their full tower variants. Just too weird looking for me. I did have a CM storm enforcer for a while, but it required drastic modifications to get it where many other cases are capable of out of the box. It IS a fairly old design though. Not counting the Mastercase units, Cooler master has a real need to update ALL of their case designs in order to get with the times I think.

For a normal system, I'd agree that your case isn't the worst option out there. Not sure it would be my first choice at the price point though. That of course is only my opinion, and we know what opinions are like. LOL.

Eh, I don't agree on this one. Lots of people with MANY drives, that need that space. Also, many of them have support for a lot MORE 140 or 200mm fans, which can offer similar cooling performance as a smaller system that has to run at a much higher RPM. Four 200mm fans will move as much air as five or six 140mm fans, at much lower RPM with a lot less noise involved.

Systems using two or three graphics cards or particularly long ones also tend to benefit from the additional space.

They also tend to be MUCH easier to build in, no matter what you are putting in them, just due to the simple fact of there being so much extra room. Cable management is magnitudes easier on the backside usually too. It's true that most users don't need them, but there are certainly situations where they are beneficial.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's why I love my Enthoo Pro. It's got the room of a full tower while technically passing for a mid tower. It can accommodate just about any size fan and it has plenty of drive bay space. And it's really easy to build and manage cables in.

Sorry G, it's not even "technically" a mid tower. It IS a full tower, even if it's on the smallish side for a full tower. In reality, it's much larger than any mid tower case I've ever worked with.

Dimension........................................235 mm x 535 mm x 550 mm (W x H x D)
Form Factor....................................Full Tower Chassis
Material(s)....................................... Brushed Plastic, Steel Chassis
Motherboard Support.......................ATX, EATX, mATX, SSI EEB
Front I/O..........................................2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, Mic, Headphone
Side Window....................................Yes, split-window design (PH-ES614P) (PH-ES614PC has closed window sidepanel)
PSU Cover........................................Yes, (PH-ES614P) No, (PH-ES614PC)

sczvanguard

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
For me the case that can do everything, which I would give case of the year to last year was the Be Quiet 900 pro., this year I quite like the look of the coolermaster 500p which is midi, or a budget full tower the Sama Ark (5 rgb fans included.) + led controller on front, depends on what takes your fancy really.

Pffft. The BeQuiet cases ARE nice, and have generally good quality, but for the features they offer and the build quality, they are GROSSLY overpriced. If BeQuiet took about 25-35% off the price of their cases, they'd be competitive AND worth the price. There is nothing that any of their cases has, that can't be had from another much less expensive case except their fans, and those are not all that great either when you start comparing them to some other high end offerings.

Basically the entire BeQuiet fan lineup is low static pressure, so they are not much good in a lot of performance applications and are really only stand out if performance is not a factor but quiet IS. They ARE pretty quiet, but mostly that's because they run at such a low max RPM, which seriously hamstrings the performance, and as I said, they don't have terrific static pressure either so they are practically worthless as heatsink or radiator fans, and would not be on my short list for intakes either.

The best thing they have going for their cases is that they are pretty quiet, regardless of what fans you use in them, and the quality IS above average. You can get those qualities in other cases costing much less though.

The CM Master Case 5 Pro is very close to the same size as that case, well it is a big Mid Tower, the main reason why I got it.

Yeah, it could work I suppose. You're right in that it is pretty large for not being considered a full tower case. AND, more importantly, unlike MOST other CM cases, it actually has most of the more modern features you'd want a case to have. If I was going to every buy another CM case it would likely be the Mastercase Pro 6 or the Cosmos II 25th anniversary edition, but honestly, for me anyhow, I think they're all overpriced and underdeveloped compared to a lot of other products.

For Cooler Master overall though, I'd sure as hell buy one of their cases before I'd buy ANY of their other products though. Again, that's just me and no knock on your case at all.

The 6 wasn't out when I got mine.

The Cosmos II is freaking HUGE.

nerdpunekar

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Damn it's heating up here in the case fandom. I'm slightly inclined towards the enthoo pro here. My budget's around 450$. I need it to be future proof. I'm thinking of adding a 1080 in sli sometime later in the future so space is a main factor. Definitely going to overclock this rig but I'm not so sure about liquid cooling since its too much trouble. So need space for the fans. Functionality is all I want.

Even with that kind of budget, unless you are simply looking for biggest **** bragging rights, I don't think there's a really compelling reason to look beyond these few choices.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe with tempered glass side panel.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854043&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Phanteks Enthoo Pro WITH full clear side panel. (Or without, if you prefer)

https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/enthoo-pro-clear-panel/phanteks-black-enthoo-pro-case-mnpctech-side-panel-rgb-lights.html

Corsair 750D airflow edition

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139060&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Corsair Carbide clear

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IAM7D8/?tag=pcpapi-20

Even the Rosewill Rise likely has everything you could need or want, and is excellent quality, for the price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147226&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Plus, of course, all the options above prior to this post are good, and valid, no matter who recommended them.

The clear is a great case, no question, but it is not for everybody due to being a reverse configuration AND having a top mounted PSU. There is a reason why PC case form factors and manufacturers moved away from top mounted power supplies in the past. It screws up the normal convection current where cool air moves down forcing heated air up.

It is a misnomer that heat rises. Heat does not "rise" on it's own. It is moved upwards by cooler, denser air moving down due to the stack effect.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/50616/Heat-Rises-and-Falls-Stack-Effect-Air-Movement-Heat-Flow

Probably overkill for your purposes but a good read anyhow. It very much is relevant to PC cooling and I'm not sure why they went back to this configuration, but I personally don't care for it as it is backwards from what we've come to understand as being more efficient in PC cooling.

Still, I guess with plenty of fans and significant negative pressure arrangements, it might be a moot point. I still don't like it. I will not be buying any reverse configuration cases for myself. If somebody wants me to build them a system in one, I'll point them to this same logic and then if they want me to still do it, fine. I have no problem with that. Its YOUR system, and you pay me to build it, not the other way around. No qualms at all with doing that.

So, between the 750D and the Enthoo Pro. They are very nearly the same case in looks and function. Basically.

The pre-modified one I linked to looks MILES better than the stock Enthoo Pro case, but you may not care about that at all and simply be ok with the normal side panel of the Enthoo Pro. That's all fine and good. I don't care what your case looks like any more than you care what mine looks like, if we get down to brass tacks about it, right? It's a good case no matter which way you go, and since function is more important to you, it's also about fifty bucks cheaper than the 750D.

However, the Enthoo Pro case is plastic. And it can be fragile if you are not the type to be at least moderately careful around it, or have pets or kids that might damage it. Or it's in an environment where your drunk buddies might bash into it. Or whatever.

I've broken the tabs off one of them by accident, which was TOTALLY my own fault. And by tabs I mean the plastic 3/4" long nipples that fasten the front and top panels on, that stick down into retention holes. It can happen if you don't pay attention to what you are doing but so can it happen in a similar fashion with a great many cases. Problem is, it happened taking it out of the box. Again, it was my own fault. The five other times or so that I've built in that case it has not been an issue as I was aware of the potential for those "nubs" breaking off.

The case is fairly light for a full tower case, and that is both an advantage and a disadvantage. An advantage because it make moving it around or working on it a bit easier. A disadvantage because obviously, being light due to being mostly plastic except the frame, it is also weaker and more susceptible to incidental damage from bumps and drops or not being careful with the panels as I said.

The 750D on the other hand is steel frame with brushed aluminum panels. They are less likely to be damaged or cracked. But they are also heavier. I guess that is the main disadvantage of that case is that is likely to be heavier than any comparably sized plastic paneled case. It should be a lot more durable though. I have only ever built one system in that 750D airflow edition case and I found it to be of extremely good quality.

For cooling, both support dual 120 or 140mm fans up front, and the 750D comes with two 140mm fans while the Enthoo Pro also can support a 200mm fan up front, and comes with one. Dual 140mm fans offer more airflow than a single 200mm fan but a single 200mm fan makes less noise than two 140mm fans. Pick your pleasure on that one.

They both offer three 120mm or 140mm fan locations up top, plus the Enthoo Pro can do a 200mm fan in that location. Again, up to you on what you want or even if you want at all, although I'd advise at least getting one additional fan for that location in the top back, likely a 140mm.

They both come with a rear 140mm fan, so no boon or bane there. Fan quality is probably a push. Included stock fans are rarely great examples of what a fan should be, even compared only to other fans sold by the same company. Nobody is giving away great fans with their cases so you get fans that move air but are neither fantastically quiet or fantastically great air movers with terrific static pressure. You get ok fans that are probably better replaced with quieter, high performance models at some point or another.

I call it a draw overall but there might be something here that leans you one way or the other. I will note too that the Phankteks case comes with a PSU shroud which somewhat helps to protect the PSU from, well, I dunno what aside from a spill but mostly it is an aesthetic feature and just makes it look a lot cleaner overall. This is not always a prerequisite, obviously. If it's your gaming rig or whatever, then yeah, if it's a workhorse only, who cares.

If it were me, buying for me, I'd probably opt for the Enthoo Pro WITH the large side panel from MNPCtech. I like the work that Bill Owen does and he seems to be a professional. If you have not seen examples of his work, Google MNPCtech and take a look at some of his stuff. Or click that link above and browse his site. Or if I needed/wanted to get almost the same case, didn't have an issue with plastic construction and wanted to save fifty bucks to put elsewhere in the build, I'd go with the regular version of that case and forego the custom side panel.

If however I simply wanted a beast of a case, without going completely captain crazypants on the cost, that was durable and had most every feature that most people could reasonably expect, I might go the other way.

Sorry if I can't be more help than that, but I can't decide FOR you, I can only offer you facts that allow YOU to make the best decision for YOU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS