A Gaming Desk ~85cm Width?

ThatScottishLad

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey all.

I'm in need of some assistance, and not sure where else to go.

I am changing my setup - I am moving my gaming stuff into a walk-in closet, so I can put a sofa and big TV and whatnot in my room. Anyway, long story short, the width of this closet is about 90cm, so for safety lets say 85cm, and the depth being ~ 55cm. Does anyone know of a good sturdy desk that would hold a 24/27" monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Possible.

But like everything else such "hack" depend on seeing the item and making some objective and subjective decisions.

But you are actually now on a track that is really viable.

Not difficult at all to go to a "big box" lumber store and purchase brackets, pre-made legs, and a board to make your own custom table.

And if the board is not exactly the size you need (width, depth) the store may cut it for you. No refunds so measure correctly.

Google "making a table".

Ralston18

Titan
Does it have to be a desk? Pretty narrow for 90 cm (just less than 35").

Maybe you could use a small table - might be easier to find.

Can you "build" in the closet? I.e., just install some good strong brackets and a board across the width. Then you could customize a bit for cable management etc.

Is there power available, good ventilation? Closet could get hot for the gaming gear.

ThatScottishLad

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

Hey, thanks for your answer.

It doesn't have to be a desk - just something I could put a monitor and keyboard and mouse on.

I could maybe install some wall brackets in the closet to fit a desk or something in? I'm not a very DIY guy so not 100% sure how I'd get this done.

And yeah, there is a vent in the ceiling and mains sockets in there too.

Ralston18

Titan
You would only need brackets if you install a shelf. Desk or table should not need to be secured.

Usually installing a shelf involves putting two smaller boards on each side wall (facing into the closet) and then placing a board running from one side to the other. Keep a very tight fit. May or may not have to secure that board to the others.

The side boards need to be secured to the wall studs and you also have to look out for stuff inside the wall; wires, water pipes, heating ducts.

There are also commerical shelf systems available but I would not trust them for strength and durability for a gaming surface. Same installation problems as well. You could do it, but maybe just get someone knowlegable to help.

You still have the option for a small table and if leg space does not matter even a small bureau. Double check the measurements and go to a couple of big box stores, goodwill, consignment stores etc..

Ask around: maybe someone will have an old table or something that suffice and fit. Even a decent wood box could work. On end, open end facing out....

ThatScottishLad

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

Okay so I've looked around and there's literally no desks that would fit, however, upon further looking, I found this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50313353/

Could I saw that or get it cut down to the size I need, and then somehow put legs onto it?

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately no. That is cork and made to sit on a firm surface. Would break pretty quick. And Ikea is expensive.

But, staying with the Ikea "theme", here is a table.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99933342/

About 30 cm too wide and 5 cm too deep. However they may have a smaller version that would work.

Click the other models link and maybe you will get an idea to two to work with.

ThatScottishLad

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

Could I buy the top for that desk you linked and cut it too size and fit legs to that instead?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60251340/#/00251343

Ralston18

Titan
Possible.

But like everything else such "hack" depend on seeing the item and making some objective and subjective decisions.

But you are actually now on a track that is really viable.

Not difficult at all to go to a "big box" lumber store and purchase brackets, pre-made legs, and a board to make your own custom table.

And if the board is not exactly the size you need (width, depth) the store may cut it for you. No refunds so measure correctly.

Google "making a table".

Solution

ThatScottishLad

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

Well man, I can only thank you for all the tips and answers you have given me! I will be getting a custom desk/table built and finish this setup.

Just go to home depot and buy a nice piece of oak plywood and use that as the surface.
I made my desk that way:
5fAF895.jpg

You wouldnt have to weld the legs or anything, putting any kind of legs on it you would want wouldnt be hard.