A gaming pc for around £1k UK. Help pls.

rebel78

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hi, I am in the market for a gaming pc and I am looking for specific recommendations from people with more expertise than myself.

I am looking for something that will play anything i throw at it and look good. I have a monitor; its not 4k but it would be nice if the pc could cope with gaming at 4k if i upgrade in the future.

I'd ideally like a nice ssd inside. I'd also like to not have to upgrade in some time. My wife is pregnant with child no.2 so it's likely to be quite some time until she agrees to another purchase...gotta make the most of this opportunity and get good bang for my buck.

I've lost track a bit with current computer specs. I currently have a i5-2400 @ 3.10 Ghz with a hd6790 (recently gone legacy) and a samsung 850 evo 250gb ata ssd.

I don't mind bastardising a few components from this if i have to (the ssd is quite new) but ideally id like to leave it untouched to be my 4 year old sons first pc. I suppose i could always stick in a cheaper hard disk.

The other thing im a bit grey on is my current os is windows 10 which is upgraded from win 7 (installed from the cd and key i still have). I assume i'd need an os? Or does the key work on more than one machine?

Lastly, the budget. 1k but there is some upward wriggle room if it really makes sense. It's a one time deal for me so i want to ensure i don't miss step. Hopefully you guys and girls can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You can hook up your disc drive to install windows if you need to.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£80.92 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£123.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Palit - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB JetStream Video Card (£248.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.06 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.80 @ Alza)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£82.20 @ Aria PC)
Total: £938.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-16 19:17 BST+0100

rebel78

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hi Zerk2012,

That looks like a great build. Thanks for replying. I realise now I should of said I would like it pre-built, sorry

I could probably do it myself at a push but i'm just not confident enough and would rather have it done for me. I've got big old clumsy hands and those parts are costly. It took some convining to get my wife to agree it was time to upgrade but if I somehow messed it up...i'd never hear the end of it and cwertianly would not be allowed to spend more to put it right.

The build looks very nice though, something like that, but pre-built, even if it's a bit more, would be great.

Also, I can strech to a cd drive, they come in handy from time to time, but was wondering if it's 1 license 1 pc? Also, windows 10 home seems to be only about £20 (for some reason I thought it cost more than that) so including a cd drive/dvd burner would be good just for the occasions it was useful to have.

Thanks