[SOLVED] A Gaming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckblind

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
I'm 73 years old and planning on retiring soon.

I would like to explore pc gaming and have no idea where to start. I have downloaded a few cheap games from Steam but am lost as how to play them. Do most games have the same keyboard moves? I open a game and have no idea what to do next.

If anyone can steer me to a website that explains all this it would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mary_issac
Solution
Thanks, guys. If I never figure anything out, will just go back to solitaire and hearts.
Hey guy, I wouldn't be too intimidated by it. I'm 63 myself, and didn't start gaming until 2001 or so. When first using a PC I would always format when something I couldn't figure out stopped me in my tracks. Then I started Googling certain error messages or scenarios I was having, and learned how to fix things myself.

Gaming on keyboard and mouse is the same way. I read a lot of game manuals, and really loved having access to them, because they make it clear what keys perform what instructions (literally with images of the actual keys), and in game you get prompts on screen when near an interactive item that tells you what key to press...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most games will have an options menu where control schemes can be configured. F1or ESC are common methods to get to game menus.

Larger game titles will have in-game tutorials as well.

Most First Person Shooters will stick to WASD and left/right mouse button control at a minimum. Scroll wheel is usually used for weapon switching and other functions.

Indie and lighter titles may be completely dependent on the game type. Platformers might have many control options from controllers to mouse/keyboard, keyboard only...

Simulators require a lot of set up and have nearly entirely customizable control schemes.

Real time strategy games are capable of being played with basically a mouse, though keyboard shortcuts are needed for more serious play.

As above YouTube is a great way to learn about a game.

If you want to explore many games take a look at Game Pass Ultimate. It is a subscription service that gives you access to a huge library of games. There are usually offers to get one month free and you can cancel before ever being charged if you don’t like it.

I have downloaded a few cheap games from Steam
If you go to a game in your library and look beneath the head image, on the right side is the place for the manual which many games have so you can read through that.
Also getting a controller could be a good way to go, it only has that many buttons so it's less confusing. YMMW of course, if you have tried one on a console maybe you know.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Isn't the entire point of gaming, figuring out how it is to be played, not knowing what to do right of the start of a game is the best part of gaming.

Some point of view: learn as you play...then play as you learn.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Isn't the entire point of gaming, figuring out how it is to be played, not knowing what to do right of the start of a game is the best part of gaming.

Some point of view: learn as you play...then play as you learn.

Sometimes. It was fun when computer games were relatively new, and each type was relatively new. Lately I just want to fire up a game and generally know what to do without going through piles of manuals.

I thought I would like Star Citizen, but nope, way too much 'work' to get to the fun parts. (And I used to play Eve Online, so that should tell you something...)

Reactions: mary_issac
Thanks, guys. If I never figure anything out, will just go back to solitaire and hearts.
Hey guy, I wouldn't be too intimidated by it. I'm 63 myself, and didn't start gaming until 2001 or so. When first using a PC I would always format when something I couldn't figure out stopped me in my tracks. Then I started Googling certain error messages or scenarios I was having, and learned how to fix things myself.

Gaming on keyboard and mouse is the same way. I read a lot of game manuals, and really loved having access to them, because they make it clear what keys perform what instructions (literally with images of the actual keys), and in game you get prompts on screen when near an interactive item that tells you what key to press.

With more complex games that had a ton of key bindings, I'd often make a little cheat sheet of what key does what, and prop it up in front of me behind the keyboard in my keyboard tray. Now I just pause game and go to the controls menu, where they're all listed. Eventually you'll get comfortable with rebinding keys to suit your preferences to keep things within reach.

Many of us go through boredom when they retire, so having enjoyable hobbies can help you get through that. I went through it a lot when my health deteriorated to the point of not being able to work or enjoy the outdoor activities I used to. Gaming has been a godsend for me, don't give up on it before giving it a fair try, it could help you too. ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts