[SOLVED] A good motherboard for a 5800X? Preferably non-RGB?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, i am looking for a good motherboard to house a 5800X and two M.2 slots atleast, and I'd love it if i can get one which is gunmetal gray/black, since ill be looking to pair it with an XFX RX 6900XT Merc I'd like to have minimal lights and a decent smooth finish.

Most of my parts will be thermaltake so I'm not fussed about the company of the Mobo as long as it doesn't glow or something XD

Solution
Wait, i can use the 5800X in b550's? I thought i needed an X570 due to power draw limit or something.

If that's not an issue then i just might go for a MEG B550 unify (msi)

Oh no...B550's like Asus' B550 TUF Plus line can handle even 5950X's easily. The B550 Unify is a great board, with a VRM design that is overkill even for a 5950X.
It's hard to avoid at least a little RGB in modern consumer motherboards.

I've been pleased with performance of my Asus B550m TUF Gaming Plus with a 5800X processor. While it is mATX it also has an ATX variant. The on-board RGB is minimal and you can easily and completely disable it in BIOS without any need to run a utility in the OS.

While the performance has been good, I do have a few beefs. One is, by default, it will try to download and install the Armoury Crate app. You have to disable that in BIOS to prevent it, do so because once installed it's almost impossible to completely remove all the services.

Another is the annoying way Asus differentiates product lines. The TUF is a mid-range so it doesn't get all the sensors the upper range Strix lines get, so it's missing a sensor to report VRM temperature and one also to report DDR4 DIMM Voltage.

Even for a 5800X the VRM is over-designed though so a temp sensor isn't really an issue as the VRM stays very cool whatever I'm doing. You can also monitor it with an IR thermometer easily enough. V-DIMM not being reported is annoying since you have to pretty much trust the voltage set to be right. I use some heavily overclocked Samsung B-die that needs pretty high voltage to stay stable, it would be nice to know it's not going over what I set.

Last edited:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I've been pleased with my Asus B550m TUF Gaming Plus with a 5800X processor. While it is mATX it also has an ATX variant. The on-board RGB is minimal and you can easily and completely disable it in BIOS without any need to run a utility in the OS.
Wait, i can use the 5800X in b550's? I thought i needed an X570 due to power draw limit or something.

If that's not an issue then i just might go for a MEG B550 unify (msi)