[SOLVED] A good NVDIA GPU for VR gaming?

Mar 31, 2020
CPU - AMD 3700X
MoBo - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro
RAM - 2xGB CL16
Budget for GPU- around 400$ (preferred) - 500$ (MAX)

Help Please :)

Solution
There's more to it than gold rating - there are mediocre gold rated psus out there, coughCoolerMastercough*, as well as gold rated units that don't actually meet the standards for it exist.
Oh well...

What you're looking for is the RTX 2060 Super or 2070, depending on pricing; the cheaper one you will find at the time wins.
Mar 31, 2020
That is a bit backwards for what is the most important part of the PC build, and too often people cut corners or cheap out here.
What do you have in mind?
I use to sum all the power requirements and buy a PSU which fits that sum (with some spare W's for future upgrades). About the quality usually a gold PSU is enough. Please feel free to suggest other options. Anyway I will ask in the other forum :) Here I just need to know about the GPU.

Thank you :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's more to it than gold rating - there are mediocre gold rated psus out there, coughCoolerMastercough*, as well as gold rated units that don't actually meet the standards for it exist.
Oh well...

What you're looking for is the RTX 2060 Super or 2070, depending on pricing; the cheaper one you will find at the time wins.

Reactions: n@dir
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
1 - The driver issue is not one to be concerned with. As someone who's used modern AMD cards (and the old ATI ones), I haven't run into a problem. Were there problems with Navi? Yes. Have they been resolved? Also yes.

2 - Do NOT get a GSync monitor. There is no need to pay the "Nvidia tax" for the additional GSync hardware that has to be built into the monitor. Get a monitor with FreeSync, which Nvidia supports in their 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards.

WildCard999

Titan
Just wanted to add that if you go Freesync/Nvidia capable the monitor must have a DisplayPort connection.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

If the budget needs to include the PSU and you prefer Nvidia then this is what I'd recommend.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($363.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ B&H)
Total: $458.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-06 13:19 EDT-0400

However, what VR system are you planning on getting? Some headsets such as the Pimax that have a higher resolution then the Vive/Oculus you may want a beefier GPU.

Reactions: n@dir and King_V
Mar 31, 2020
If the budget needs to include the PSU and you prefer Nvidia then this is what I'd recommend.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($363.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ B&H)
Total: $458.97

However, what VR system are you planning on getting? Some headsets such as the Pimax that have a higher resolution then the Vive/Oculus you may want a beefier GPU.

Unfortunately the price is much higher in my country: 465$ for that EVGA 2060s.
At the same price I can get this: https://www.gigabyte.com/it/Graphics-Card/GV-N206SGAMING-OC-8GC#kf

The cheapest are "Manli" (first time I heard about this brand) and Inno3D but I don't trust in them :(

I trust in SeaSonic!!! Also EVGA were good PSU's in the past...

WildCard999

Titan
If your going with the Vive/Oculus then anything such as a 1060 6gb/RX 580 or better will give you a good experience in VR combined with the other specs you've picked out so that Gigabyte 2060S would be fine.

As for the PSU EVGA does have excellent quality PSU's but they also have ones that I wouldn't trust in a gaming build so it really comes down to the model.

Mar 31, 2020
2 - Do NOT get a GSync monitor. There is no need to pay the "Nvidia tax" for the additional GSync hardware that has to be built into the monitor. Get a monitor with FreeSync, which Nvidia supports in their 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards.

I'm aiming at an LG C9 series. It supports G-Sync only. The CX sereies will support free-sync too but it will surely be very expensive (not available atm in my country).

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not quite sure that's the case about the C9 TVs, but my quick check on trying to find the info was kind of confusing:

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussi...esync-why-is-it-so-difficult-to-get-an-answer

Is it VRR, or adaptive sync or freesync? What is the difference?
LG's 2019 series only supports HDMI-VRR as part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, which is not compatible with FreeSync or G-Sync even though those technologies are somehow related. Those technologies are not compatible with each other.

EDIT: On the other hand, that seems to be contradicted by this:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/...g-sync-support-c9-b9-e9-variable-refresh-rate

EDIT 2: So, it seems like, as of November last year, they were still waiting on AMD to add the HDMI-VRR to the drivers. Also, Nvidia only supports this particular form of VRR on the 16- and 20- series, but NOT the 10- series. At least, according to this info:

Mar 31, 2020
Looking at the US website G-Sync it's not mentioned in the features list but it is in the "overview: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55C9PUA-oled-4k-tv
With the linitation: *NVIDIA G-SYNC compatible with RTX 20 and GTX 16 graphics card series.
No mentions for Free-sync.

In the "italian" website G-sync it's listed also in the features list (under the gaming section):
https://www.lg.com/it/tv/lg-OLED55C9PLA-tv-oled#pdp_spec
With the limitation (oveview section):" *Disponibile con aggiornamento software a dicembre 2019. " Which means: "available with a software update in December 2019".
No mentions for free-sync but VRR is mentioned. I understand VRR is something related to HDMI 2.1 only

There are no display ports anyway. HDMI only.

Now I suppose I will be able to use it in some way but you are right. It's a little bit confusing -.-

@King_V

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I believe it's because HDMI-VRR is entirely separate from FreeSync and GSync. Also, I think (not sure) that GSync originally worked ONLY with Display Port. I am not sure if it was the same for FreeSync, but I know now that FreeSync will work with normal HDMI.

It is confusing. But, at least for now, you should be on the safe side if you go with a C9 and a new Nvidia card. However, LG is also putting out FreeSync-capable TVs. I am not sure how their prices compare - but I would have assumed that they would be less, since that's how it was with monitors. But it appears that what they're doing with HDMI-VRR is outside of the FreeSync vs GSync distinction that normally happens with monitors.

Ideally, you could get a monitor that plays nice with everything, so you're not locked-in on one brand of card. Of course, AMD might have started adding 2.1 HDMI VRR support in their drivers.

Finally, AMD has partially updated their display controller. I say “partially” because while it’s technically an update, they aren’t bringing much new to the table. Notably, HDMI 2.1 support isn’t present – nor is more limited support for HDMI 2.1 Variable Rate Refresh. Instead, AMD’s display controller is a lot like Vega’s: DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b, including support for AMD’s proprietary Freesync-over-HDMI standard. So AMD does have variable rate capabilities for TVs, but it isn’t the HDMI standard’s own implementation.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14528/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-series/2

That is not very promising on the AMD side, but I haven't been able to find more recent information.

Mar 31, 2020
Ideally, you could get a monitor that plays nice with everything, so you're not locked-in on one brand of card. Of course, AMD might have started adding 2.1 HDMI VRR support in their drivers.

The new LG CX series supports everything but don't expect lower prices... a 48" CX will cost about 400$ more than a 55" C9.

Anyway this is not the right period to buy anything. Due to covid-19 the prices are too high. I expect a big discount when the quarantine ends.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The new LG CX series supports everything but don't expect lower prices... a 48" CX will cost about 400$ more than a 55" C9.

Anyway this is not the right period to buy anything. Due to covid-19 the prices are too high. I expect a big discount when the quarantine ends.

Agreed - unless some kind of crazy sale pops up, it does seem prices are generally elevated, making this a less-than-ideal time to buy.