[SOLVED] A good option for 144hz

Dec 28, 2019
Hey!
Im looking into buying a 144hz monitor, but first I would need to upgrade from my GTX 1050 Ti (I have an i5-3470) . I want to play Fortnite with no bottlenecking (I play on all LOW settings). Which GPU should I go with?

Solution
If you want to have as close to 144Hz@1080p then you should go for at least a RTX 2060. It will not be a constant 144fps but you will be close. Again, as I mentioned before, the CPU WILL bottleneck the system and the PSU needs to be changed (I know you said you are swapping it, I need to emphasise it though).
I will repeat in case you didn't fully read my previous post:

First we need FULL system specs, along with the make and model of your PSU as it is crucial.

144Hz at what resolution?
You will be bottlenecked by your CPU in every case, keep that in mind.

Till you answer properly, I can't help you.

Dec 28, 2019
I will repeat in case you didn't fully read my previous post:

First we need FULL system specs, along with the make and model of your PSU as it is crucial.

144Hz at what resolution?
You will be bottlenecked by your CPU in every case, keep that in mind.

Till you answer properly, I can't help you.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2x8GB 1600mhz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 600W
HDD: WD 1TB Blue 64MB 7200RPM
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R

Dec 28, 2019
This here is your biggest issue. That PSU is garbage and should not be used in a gaming rig. Maybe office PCs but that's it.
You will need to upgrade it before buying anything else. Any GPU that will provide the 144fps will certainly need a better PSU.
Ok, I’ll take care of the psu, could you say what kind of GPU you recommend?

If you want to have as close to 144Hz@1080p then you should go for at least a RTX 2060. It will not be a constant 144fps but you will be close. Again, as I mentioned before, the CPU WILL bottleneck the system and the PSU needs to be changed (I know you said you are swapping it, I need to emphasise it though).

Solution
At 1080p + Epic Settings you'll need a Radeon VII or better according to this:

That just gets you an average of 145FPS. You will still see some dips into the 80s (1% lows), but that's fairly consistent amongst many of the top GPUs and even down into the lower power GPUs as well with dips to the 70s.

You'll still need to sort out your CPU problem.

An overclocked i7 2600k should get you pretty close to 144 fps. Your mobo is compatible. Just make sure you have the correct BIOS before removing your old CPU:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3R-rev-10/support#support-cpu

EDIT: Although, the above CPU is a higher TDP (95W) than your current CPU (77W), so your cooler might not be able to handle it. You might need a new cooler regardless because you will have to OC the 2600k to get the 144 FPS. Another option is the 77W i7-3770k at a bit higher cost than the 2600k (although again due to a required OC you might need a new cooler).

EDIT: changed link to manufacturer's website for info on exact mobo model (didn't notice "R" at the end), required BIOS for i7-2600k is F2, i7-3770k is F6

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
thanks for the help :)

Dec 28, 2019
At 1080p + Epic Settings you'll need a Radeon VII or better according to this:

That just gets you an average of 145FPS. You will still see some dips into the 80s (1% lows), but that's fairly consistent amongst many of the top GPUs and even down into the lower power GPUs as well with dips to the 70s.

You'll still need to sort out your CPU problem.
thanks man :)